Holden v6 supercharged

Page 1 / 6
steinway2, Jul 31, 5:30am
has any one got any ideas on how to bring the fuel consumption backfrom 15L/100km round town and about 13L/100km on the open road! ive being driving worse than a grandma (and yes its been painful lol) with not alot of difference. is there any sencors i could clean to drop it back abit. i know these motors were not the cheapest to run but isnt this is getting abit steep! any advice! thanks

mugenb20b, Jul 31, 5:32am
Remove the supercharger drive belt.

grangies, Jul 31, 5:33am
I can't understand why anyone would buy a big car like a supercharged V6 Commodore and then freak over the fuel consumption.

mugenb20b, Jul 31, 5:38am
Farmers in my local area keep buying brand new tractors and f.ing Range Rovers (diesels) and rave on about how much cheaper they are to run than older models despite spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on purchasing them. *Facepalm*

nz2293, Jul 31, 5:38am
jesus 13l/100km wow my 8 is round 9.8 10.1 @100 and 13 round town maybe a ecu tune

steinway2, Jul 31, 6:30am
thanks for that bit of rare and helpful info .who does that and where can i gt it done.you would have thought your 8 and my s/c 6 should have roughly the same fuel consumption aye! look forward to your reply. thanks

1fordluva, Jul 31, 6:36am
have you done the air filter!
regular maintanance will help your cause.

mantagsi, Jul 31, 6:58am
I;ve heard it is recommended to replace oxygen sensors every 80,000 - 100,000kms. Not sure how much truth there is in that, but considering they do play a pretty important part in fuel injection operation, it might not hurt to look into that more!

mantagsi, Jul 31, 7:00am
Just out of curiosity, I can understand that restrictive airflow from a blocked filter will work like a choke on a carburetted engine, but with a fuel injected setup, would a blocked filter actually cause more fuel usage as a direct consequence or would it just mean a sluggish engine resultign in a heavier boot from the driver!

franc123, Jul 31, 7:05am
Changed it for ya :)

1fordluva, Jul 31, 7:13am
This is the reason they have 02 sensors.need I say more.
Ok I will because if I dont ,I will get an unusuall response.
They used an air filter for a reason and then recommended you change then every 5 to 10,000 kms.
Restriction in airflow results in increased fuel usage carbed or injected.

graham32, Jul 31, 7:17am
Just done a trip from Tauranga to North Shore and back and got an average of 9.2l / 100km

scotty20001, Jul 31, 7:31am
that will just cause it to run like a bag of shit, i have a Super 6 running a 10psi pulley with the cat converters removed maybe you have blocked cats! that will add to your fuel consumption i get 13.5 L per 100km around town and 8.4 L per 100km on the open road driving to Kaikoura and Nelson most weekends no bullshit, and that's boosting it pretty often.

scotty20001, Jul 31, 7:34am
if an 02 sensor fails on a L67 engine it will throw a check engine light straight away, like mine did (due to blatant driver abuse getting the exhaust gas temp too hot due to doing skids in a paddock for about 1/2 an hour.

steinway2, Jul 31, 7:42am
thanks guys for all ya info . as i said before i know that they use more gas being a s/c but not 15L/100km round town! i will remove the cat i think. oh in doing so will they fail it when it goes for its next wof! thanks

1fordluva, Jul 31, 7:45am
No it wont fail a wof for running rich,unless its blowing choads of fuel smoke.

marmatt, Jul 31, 7:52am
check your plug as wellthey are only about 40 bucks from holden

steinway2, Jul 31, 8:01am
just done plugs and new leads. i mean will they fail a wof if i take out the cat coverters! thanks

dent, Jul 31, 8:03am
Do those engines run a airflow meter or map sensor!

guider1, Jul 31, 8:05am
Bollocks! Get your figures right by comparing 2 cars of the same year. And irritating whine!. cant say my mates one has an irritating whine.

johnf_456, Jul 31, 8:12am
What tyre pressures are you running and do you check them often!

scotty20001, Jul 31, 8:14am
typical Ford owner he forgot to mention that a Super 6 Commodore comes standard with Independent rear suspension and side airbags (which are still optional on the FG by the way) i will line up any XR6 in my Super 6 Commodore and i assure you the XR6 owner will go home with his tail between his legs, the whine is far from irritating it is an awesome sound esp when you wind the boost up.

scotty20001, Jul 31, 8:19am
and Fordie failed to mention the torque figure of the L67 which is 375nm at 2000 rpm and don't forget Holden watered down the performance of this engine so it wouldn't embarrass the V8's in standard tune, remove the cats and add a 10psi pulley even intercool it and run 18psi if you have the balls, the Holden L67 is one of the most underrated performance engines of all time, that can be obtained and modified for stuff all coin.

mantagsi, Jul 31, 8:19am
Thanks, but I dont think that sounds 100% right. I know that an oxygen sensor gives feedback to tell the engine how rich or lean the burn is, so that tells me that a restricted intake just means less air, so the ECU should compensate by injecting less fuel. I think I might stick with my second guess to my original question, seems most likely

graham32, Jul 31, 8:21am
scotty20001 did you notice and good increase with the 10psi upgraded pulley