07 Triton 3.2L EGR Valve

Page 1 / 2
wind.turbine, Jun 23, 6:34pm
Have had the Manifold cleaned due to carbon build up as the EGR valve through out a code causing check engine light.

code was reset but shortly after it has come back on again, amused the valve is gone so took it to the dealer to confirm and yes they recommended replacing the valve $700!

is there anywhere that will sell it cheaper?
also is the engine light a fail for a WOF?

mrsglaucoma11, Jun 23, 7:00pm
My 08 Navara light kept coming on when using BP diesel. Z no problems. switch back and within 100ks would come on again. I was told to use Z by a man who had the same problem and Triton as you.

intrade, Jun 23, 8:19pm
its more like its going to crap it self . the egr gets blocked up for a reason. Do you use a diesel additive in the diesel?
and do you use to correct engine oil?
and do you drive it long distances at least 1 time a week ?
You need to keep a eye on the engine oil because it will rise up if the engine fails to regenerate the particular filter. glowplugs are also ultra important to function well at all times to regenerate all these little things if not 100% correct will clocg up the egr . system.

intrade, Jun 23, 8:40pm
i got a story from a nissan also obd2 emission code p0707 was set . transmission range switch if you look up global obd2 codes.
Now they rebuilt the transmission because of this code. code was straight back on first test drive on a nissan diesel.
the real problem was a injector pump plunger had seezed stuck. the oem nissan tool did show this code was set on the factory side of codes.
Now dealer tools are also not always factory tools like this pile of crap citroen c4 2014 model with 800km on the clock showed on the citroen dealer tool "bsi module unknowen code error". rpm 8400 ignition switch in off position temperature 34° celcsius and milage 834 km a brand spanking new citroen. i got a picture on my phone of this . ah well we cant find anything its fine again now it seems was what they told me.

intrade, Jun 23, 10:11pm
to confirm is this a diesel petrol also have egr but there its seldom a problem
triton i assume it is commonrail diesel?

brapbrap8, Jun 23, 11:04pm
Yes it will be a diesel

mm12345, Jun 24, 12:28am
Genuine Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 EGR valves ex Aus on Ebay for about NZ$350. With GST etc, it's going to cost you $450 or so - but still a considerable saving.
Before doing that, I'd be scouring 4WD forums for more information about diagnosis and replacement.

wind.turbine, Jun 24, 8:23am
Had the manifold fully cleaned out as the light came on and the mechanic said they are known to have a problem that causes it, also was surging at about 2100RPM.
Was completely clogged and surprised it was still running!

now runs like new and has loads of power.
Have been reading online and seems that due to this problem you are meant to get the manifold cleaned every 80,000km, this has just got to 210,000 before it had its first clean.

Oil that is used is the expensive penrite stuff when I do it or else the proper recommended oil when serviced at the dealer.

took the valve off myself and checked it prior to taking it to whangarei to be checked and there has a small amount of soot sitting at the valve, obviously some that was left in the system but my guess is that since its still there means the valve must not be opening as it surly would have bee pulled through.

pulled the motor off the valve its self and the valve seems to be sliding back and forth smoothly by hand. plugged the motor in and turned the key on and the motor was cycling back and forth for a few sec, put back on valve and it would not move it so maybe the motor is damaged?

As I am a your farmer member I seem to be driving long distances all the time so don't think that should be an issue.

only fuel additive I have used is the fuel 360 tablets but its been a while since I have used them.

and yes its a diesel turbo

intrade, Jun 24, 8:44am
you disconected it with ignition on?
probably now needs to be relearned

, i have the mitsubishi software and i if you want i have a free look if my diagnostic is able to sort it , i have comanded all egr valves on with software so far. on holden astra petrol.
Just had it do it on the mercedes diesel yesterday , its surges on startup and the intercooler has blowen out and the commonrail pump is leaking so will fix all knowen problems first befor i can go and diagnose the surge again also has had a failed crank case breather . all stuff whom could be responsible for the surge on this merc .

wind.turbine, Jun 24, 8:47am
no only disconnected the plug with the key completely out,
where abouts are you Intrade?

wind.turbine, Jun 24, 8:50am
ah I see you are in whangarei, that would be awesome if you could!
it would be an easy way to know for sure as it is a hell of a lot of money to be throwing in the bin if I buy a new valve and it does not sort it.

intrade, Jun 24, 8:52am
so what is your problem now a surge?
and egr code? egr dont makes a diesel surge
egr on at idle makes a petrol stumble and die egr is on normally at idle on a diesel i got a video on youtube showing this on the mazda

wind.turbine, Jun 24, 8:57am
it was surging before the intake manifold was pulled of and cleaned, about filled a 3L container with soot, it runs awesome now and has heaps of power where before it would die of real fast on the hills and also no surging now

intrade, Jun 24, 9:32am
Do you know the tyre stop place oposite the warehouse?

wind.turbine, Jun 26, 10:17am
yea I think I know the one

happylad3, Jun 27, 9:38pm
if you take the EGR valve back off, and remove the motor. Check that the plunger in the EGR housing slides smoothly. If it has any wee snags or catches, it most likely needs replacing. The motors don't tend to cause issues. Its the plunger sticking. Other faults are if low boost, or map sensor faults. Can be EGR too. If its sticking open, then the boost goes out the EGR valve. Not into the engine.

intrade, Jun 27, 10:17pm
RE 17 correct on the mercedes i got bidirectional controll to command the egr on and off and the test shows mass airflow and boost pressure on the pids of what it is doing , the mass airflow monitoring is used most times by the ecu to know the egr is on or not , so you cant just blank it off it needs to be programmed to not turn on in engine managment tuning map.
the rest of the system is then affected like a domino, its how it fails one thing takes down the next thing when there is no tollerances for faults.
if egr dont works it cant regenerate as when the egr valve is open your intake will have a melt down on regeneration with the fire burning out the dpf going back thru the open egr in to the engine intake, so it wont regenerate solong as there is a fault. like i said domino effects the whole system. it must all function 100% at all time

tweake, Jun 27, 10:28pm
no other way around. exhaust gas goes through egr valve and you loose drive on the turbo which creates less boost. you virtually never get boost higher than exhaust pressure so boost can't go back back up the egr valve.

also if egr valve is stuck open the excessive egr lowers performance and increases the amount of soot generated by a large amount, which compounds the whole problem.

wind.turbine, Jun 29, 5:31am
Have already done this, is seems to slide freely and motor cycles in and out when ignition turned on but wont do anything when the motor is bolted back to the housing

wind.turbine, Jun 29, 6:15am
heres a question for you intrade
I gather that regeneration wont work properly if the EGR valve is jammed open but would it work with it being closed? or would it not work at all with it saying the valve has a fault?

intrade, Jun 29, 6:42am
well how does it know its open or shut?
engine managment has no eyes it must use what ever the component claims who mesures the open or closed state , so i would say if it has a fault it wont regenerate , unless its programmed to still do so. i dont know what they programm in a map but it would make sense that it wont regenerate .
tyre stop has my details.

tweake, Jun 29, 6:56am
does the triton have a DPF?
flames from DPF going back into intake? not many engines run long path egr. most are short path. those engines that inject fuel on the exhaust stroke to regen the dpf would have issues with egr being open.

wind.turbine
find what code its bring up. either get a scanner or a lot of them have manual means to read off the error codes. no doubt fan site will have details.
then you can see if its a egr motor error, egr position error or egr flow error. ecu's can detect current flow through egr motor windings, or position from the position sensor or the drop in air flow through the MAF when egr valve opens.
some will flag an error if egr is blocked off. it may be the mechanic blocked the egr off to stop the soot problem from happening.

wind.turbine, Jun 29, 8:36am
Just been on some forums to see what others have done with their Tritons.
Some have completely blanked off the EGR and removed the DPF.

They even speak of getting 3-6% increase in power.

Not too sure on this exactly but you would have thought that you would then have to get the ECU remapped to know about the lack of EGR and DPF?

tweake, Jun 29, 8:38am
one other thing, check a manual or one of the forums and see if it has a "egr valve learn position" setting. basically you tell the ecu to work out where the egr valve start position is. otherwise the valve may be in a different place to where the ecu thinks it is (via the position sensor).

have a look and see if that applies.

tweake, Jun 29, 8:45am
depends on the system, what dpf sensors it runs and how it does the regen. some engine do a regen every so often regardless. those ones really need a remapped ecu to deal with it.
some work on pressure sensors, fool them and it never regens because dpf is never blocked up.
i'm sure the forums will have write ups on what works and what doesn't.