Yamaha v50 Moped Resoration

debulebule, Nov 26, 7:22pm
x1
Hi guys,

Have another build thread going for my new trademe acquisition, the mighty Yamaha v50.

Posting here if anyone is interested:

http://oldschool.co.nz/2011/forum/index.php?/topic/50880-moped-nzs-v50-build/

kazbanz, Nov 26, 8:41pm
V50--basicly a fs1e (fizzy) with scooter frame.
I always loved the lil fizzy 70km/h 50cc ring a ding stroker

yz490, Nov 28, 6:14am
Love the older V50's. This is the first model V50 with the automatic clutch on the crankshaft & take a bit of winding up compared to the next model with the clutch back on the gearbox mainshaft. 3 speed crash box as no gearchange operated clutch lifter between gearchanges like the honda 50's, so it pays to hit second almost straight away as 1st to 2nd is a big jump & 2nd to 3rd is small so not so hard on the dogs. Bigger brother to this was the V90 which went 'realy' well but basicaly the same scooter but with 12 volt electrics & a floating front brake so when braking it dropped in the front instead of climbing higher with the rocker arm front suspension. Anyway--getting sidetracked reminiscing. Worked on them from new, had reject ones to ride to work [50 & 90] Kids thrashed them & dad had one on the farm with CT90 knobblies on. Nuf said--or too much lol.

yz490, Aug 31, 1:05am
Model before this was the U5 [50cc] & U75 [75cc] both had rotary valve inlet & performed better but the V range took over in the name of progress! . V50/90 by the way has reed valve inlet on the end of the inlet stub. Got me going now! --if it pulls [steers] 'Badly' one way you can almost guarantee the front leading link arms have got slightly bent from hitting things. Loosen the wheel & re-tighten & if still sits cockeyed then decide which way & get a giant crescent then [with wheel out] tweak each arm at the axle lug in direction needed. Note--a 'little' makes a big difference-till it sits vertical.