Ractis CVT tiptronic repair costs

flyingpencil, Nov 28, 7:36am
I've been considering buying one of these today. I know they are Toyotas, but is the tiptronic and CVT transmission going to be expensive if they need repairs? Looking at ones 2006/7, around 40-70,000kms

intrade, Nov 28, 7:40am
can you be more specific? anything new has a good chance to be expensive to repair and loads of morons with no clues out there ripping people off with there incompetence

flyingpencil, Nov 28, 7:44am
Just amended my post, to be more clear.

kazbanz, Nov 28, 7:45am
flying pencil ANY auto gearbox is expensive to repair. That's the nature of the beast. But the Ractis engine/transmission combination has been in general service since 2003 with NO trend of any sort for transmission issues. The ractis itself since 2005 again with no trend for tranz issues.
hey it COULD happen I guess but Im not hearing about it.
(I look at roughly 5000 cars a week and transmission fault is something I watch for)

flyingpencil, Nov 28, 8:15am
Good to know. Just out of curiosity, I've always owned older manual cars and that is because I always thought they were cheaper to repair than automatics. Is that still the case then? Everything I've looked at has been automatic (looking around 2006/7 era - toyotas and mazda hatches).

kazbanz, Nov 28, 8:27am
FP- a clutch job could still make your eyes water price wise.-Mazda axella 1500's are roughly $600
But some have very expensive gear inside.
Incidently you must be looking in the wrong places. well at least for manual mazda hatches

3tomany, Nov 28, 8:35am
All transmissions are expensive to repair so all you can do is get it checked out, then hope. I do not like CVT but that is a personal opinion so if you like it buy it but do check things out, all things not just the tranny, some other faults in a modern car can make your eyes tear up.

mugenb20b, Nov 29, 2:11am
I have an '05 Vitz with a CVT, done 105k now and it's been brilliant. I gave the transmission a service when I got it at 90k, still drives superbly. The cost of repair isn't something that I worry about but you can get mechanical insurance if need be.

ambo11, Nov 29, 2:17am
Damned good cars those wee Ractis, wanted to get the wife one but she thought it was ugly and wanted a Toyota Ist instead. (Way more ugly IMO).
Just get the trans serviced with genuine Toyota fluid regularly, don't tow anything, and enjoy it. I reckon these Ractis are under rated, they are massive inside.

ntalke, Nov 29, 2:39am

pauloc, Nov 29, 3:43am
Ractis are a great little vehicle particularly the 1500. I have personally sold more than 100 of them with no dramas, with the caveat of them being nice well looked after cars to start with. The 1500 GL has cruise control, and you can put a washing machine in the back of one easily. Buy a nice low km one, they are very good value for money and super practical.

newtec1, Aug 24, 7:32pm
5000 cars a week.Is that a typo,you would be looking at 70 every hour. ?