Nz celica vs import

grangies, Apr 11, 12:29am
If that's NZ new, why would it need a band expander?

grangies, Apr 11, 12:31am

trogedon, Apr 11, 12:34am
It would be really hard to find a lower mileage one than that, especially in manual.

petal_91, Apr 11, 1:07am
The more practical sedan variant, the Curren, looks to be available in manual quite often. Have you looked at those?

vtecintegra, Apr 11, 1:15am
The Curren is still a two door, only difference is it has a notchback rather than a hatch like the Celica (which if anything makes it less practical)

bwg11, Apr 11, 1:25am
Yes, It will be a 5S-FE, think they were about 100kW, whereas in the Camry, 95kW.

petal_91, Apr 11, 2:24am
Yes of course. I realized it was a 2 door. The Carina was the 4 door T200 and those don't come in manual very often.

shorebee, Apr 11, 7:27am
just seemed a good genuine car, not to powerful, a lot of the 2.0 imports say dohc or beams which i assume means more power, hard to tell if its priced reasonably compared to imported models that are cheaper and mostly auto 2.0. ss11 or ss111 which i dont know what that is. purple though, nice colour but not really a young mans colour

bwg11, Apr 11, 7:39am
Just for the record, the 5S-FE is DOHC.

trogedon, Apr 11, 9:34am
Young GAY man's colour.

tamarillo, Apr 11, 10:19am
Looks like a genuine nz new car. I'd be asking if there is a service history, receipts etc. if odo has been steady (check car jam) it's likey milage is real.
Personally I'd pay more for it over import with no history.
Advertiser is likely not technically inclined and confused about band expander.

rbd, Apr 11, 11:01am
I'd say reason for band expander is that looks like a JDM stereo. NZ new Celicas of this era (at least the ST205 GT-Four) had Alpine from memory.

In dash CD changers were pretty much unknown in NZ new cars back then.

kimbo88, Apr 12, 12:41am
The main difference in the imports is that a lot of them in the SS2/SS3 models have got the higher powered 3SGE engine in them (147 Kw). Not all - there was also a large number came in with just the standard 3SFE motor, and the 2.2 wasn't an option in Japan. The ones with the 3SGE are the most desirable ones, if you can find a tidy one.

timmo1, Mar 17, 5:55pm
Also just for the record, a -GE head is the performance variant with wider angled inlet/exhaust ports better for making power. The -FE head has a narrower angle, better for torque.