Buying an owner welding gas bottle

ignition328, Apr 6, 7:56am
Hey guys, who's the go to buy a cylinder off these days? I fill at supagas and my one of my old bottles I got off a mate was a ground down NZIG bottle, apparently they xray or something now? Anyway the short of it is they won't fill my argon bottle anymore so I'm looking to buy another so each of my welders still has its own (my other bottle was a "true" owner bottle)

I'm going to look a bit into it when I go to pickup my CO2 bottle but is there anywhere else that I should look at that sells bottles? I think I might have locked myself in to bite the bullet but pays to ask. Was looking to get an E sorta sized bottle, D is just little small I'd think.

skin1235, Apr 6, 8:03am
Supagas sell them, not sure on price though
any bottle that has been ground down anywhere near the neck is a no-go for filling anywhere, regardless of original owner or trademarks removed, have you any idea the damage they cause if they finally let go in the weakened spot?, suffice to say your concrete block walls will not contain it, even if they have rebar in them and are 100% filled

ignition328, Apr 6, 8:11am
I'm aware, but not sure how that pertains to me because I'm looking to buy a new one. I'd also argue that the stampings introduce stress risers and concentrators themselves, the answer must be to never get them tested and stamped

skin1235, Apr 6, 8:28am
lol, I wasn't hooking you, just explaining why they won't refil them if damage found, yes even stamping would have potential to weaken, but logic is not the reason they stamp them, its so they can clip their ticket and charge you fiercely when you rent them

ignition328, Apr 6, 8:51am
I ain't renting again, flushing money. I'm happy to up front the cost but I want to maximize what stays in the pocket

skin1235, Apr 6, 8:56am
with you there, can't help re prices, suffice to say they are such they put me off buying one, I have owner oxy and owner acetylene, lpg normal retail ownership, stopped using inerts for this same issue

ignition328, Apr 6, 10:15am
I have a few owner bottles, just turns out this one technically wasn't. It's the way to go for me, I don't use much but I like to have a large stock of it because refilling can be a big downtime and hassle. Oxy, CO2, argon and acetylene all were good until this hiccup.

exwesty, Apr 6, 10:42am
Wait till they want to do an audit of your bottles.

aredwood, Apr 6, 11:56am
Search the user "gaspro" on TM. They sell secondhand bottles with a new test and new valve, paint ect. Have bought a "G" size argon bottle off them.

unideck, Apr 6, 12:38pm
Rental is what we have here, buying the bottle is not financially viable, even for us. The rent is so cheap these days its hard to justify spending (in our case) thousands of dollars buying them all then having to travel over 100kms just to exchange. Even when we were based in Auckland and Christchurch it still wasn't cost effective 8 years ago.

michelle322, Apr 6, 9:31pm
eziswapgas.They have a range of gases,You buy a full owner bottle from them,when empty you exchange it for a full one and pay only for the fill No other charges.What i was paying in BOC rental over two years paid for a full owner bottle.

unideck, Mar 24, 2:57pm
Two years! that means it would take us here 12 years to break even lmao.