Hyundai i30, crdi

bill1451, Jun 15, 2:46am
Took one of these for a drive around chch crap streets, very quick drive (distance not speed lol) around the block, no 100kph stuff, seemed ok for size of engine (1600 diesel) claimed 45mpg old school. Likes and dislikes from any owners please, korean haters,euro lovers. -

tamarillo, Jun 15, 2:59am
Can't knock Hyundai anymore, arguably better made than some Japanese. As a generisation diesels aren't best choice for short run driving whereas they come in their own for long drives. They seem to cost more to maintain and aren't happy with stop start never warming up fully. Modern petrol safe damn nearly as economical, especially with our stupid road charges. Diesels are now getting bad rap for extra particulate pollution. Try a modern small,engined turbo engine for comparison, such as the new ecoboost fords, fiesta or focus.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 15, 3:05am
Aside from them being not as good as what else is available. I wouldn't buy a Hyundai Diesel given Hyundai NZ's attitude when the water traps fail and destroy the engine. Have a watch online of the old fella on fair go who had exactly this, faced with a 15K repair bill and Hyundai not being helpful.

Even if you get the claimed 6.3l/100km (which is thirsty for a small diesel in a modern car). That's not overly cheap running when you factor in RUC etc. You could run a petrol VW Golf with far better performance for less.

You could do a lot better for your money.
My 2C

stevo2, Jun 15, 3:37am
I have only driven the i30 in petrol form and it went well enough. A very average car performance/handling wise but quiet and comfortable on the road. It had a good level of fit and finish and seemed solid.
They are gaining a very good reputation for reliability these days.
I would only be interested if I got it for a good price as it competes against some very good cars.

msigg, Jun 15, 4:09am
Yes, excellent car, the diesel is very good, as is most modern diesels, got to give them a burst occasionally to clean things out, The i20 is doing really good too in the rally overseas, maybe a podium finish, this will push sale for Hyundai. Great stuff.

brapbrap8, Jun 15, 4:13am
http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/hyundai-i30-premium-16-litre-turbodiesel-review-12392#.VX2mT33LfMJ
Pretty average car all round, and looks dear to run compared to virtually every other vehicle in the size range.
Not sure what you are looking at paying, but for around $20k you can have a brand new Mitsi Lancer that will be cheaper to run, cheaper to licence and service and it has all the same gadgets as the i30, with the addition of a rear view camera.
NZs best new car warranty too.
Otherwise look at the VW Golf, Mazda 3 or Ford Focus which would all rank well above the i30.

intrade, Jun 15, 4:14am
question is do you drive 50 minutes once per week on one hit without stopping? because that is what any diesel of that age needs to be driven so it can self clean its diesel particulet filter plus 10,000km maximum between oil changes no matter what the manufacturer tells you. manufacturer want your vehicle broken as soon as the manufacturer warranty is up and sell you a new one that is what makes money for them. Goes for any diesel vw fiat toyota ford you name it that is what you need to be doing or you will have expensive problems, there is enough other problems .

stevo2, Jun 15, 5:20am
I have been working at Toyota lately and asked the workshop supervisor about this.
He said 15km or so is enough, BUT it will need more in some instances ie. It wont re-generate if you sit idling with a foot on the brake.
Interestingly, no NZ new Hilux's or Hiaces have ever had a DPF fitted nor have import Hilux's. Only on passenger cars and import Hiaces.
They can be removed for about $1100

delerium1, Jun 16, 12:10am
I have one and regularly achieve better than the stated economy. No way would I buy a hand grenade European car for 10 grand. Over 112000kms and no problems. OP if you like it go for it. If you. An one built in 2011 or later you get the six speed auto box.

delerium1, Jun 16, 12:11am
nz model doesn't have a dpf.

andy61, Jun 16, 12:42am
We used a Hyundai i30 rental car in Australia, while it wasnt a diesel, it was an good average car , drove well,did everything well(we did about 2500kms in 2 weeks),excellent boot space and shape as you could get 2 large suitcases side by side in the boot,1 thing I didnt like was the seat padding felt sub standard.I owned a 2007 Toyota Corolla Fielder 1.8 and the Corolla had more power than the i30,in act I thort the i30 was a 1.6 but but was a 1.8.Last time we went over to Australia we got a new Nissan Pulsar,I liked it much better than the i30,felt nicer to drive, comfy seats etc but boot space wasnt as good.I always said I woudnt go out of my way to buy a Hyundai i30 based on our rental experience but the Nissan Pulsar did impress me and Ive never really liked Nissan Cars.

rctr, Jun 16, 7:09am
So nothing to do with the emusilfiers that fuel companies put in their storage tanks

mcscottwgtn, Jun 16, 8:57am
I have a GD Wagon I30 with 13km on the clock now. It's a good looking machine, handles okay, bit gutless as you would expect. Seems quicker than the sh*t box suvs on our roads especially around corners. I just set the speed limiter to 104 or so, and zone out. That's driving in nz these days. Good runabout. Mines petrol, wouldn't bother with diesel.

321mat, Jun 17, 1:09am
In Korea, Hyundai's have a service period of 5000 km (yes, only Five Thousand).
It's little wonder why so many people have some quite catastrophic mechanical problems with these cars, given the typical Kiwi "relaxed" attitude to servicing.

Also, the suspension units in these cars are not durable (the "tuned for NZ conditions" palava is BS), and they tend to lose their dampening (and become harsh riding) before too long.

Now, I'd start on about the dealers, but I don't want to give you nightmares. Seriously. better value elsewhere.

delerium1, Jun 17, 1:26am
Diesel model is meant to be faster. It's a good unit.

beno, Jun 4, 7:25pm
I have a diesel one and it's lovely to drive 120k's on the clock. starts first blip. uses no oil. no rattles. heaps of torque .2010