FG falcon XR6?

Page 1 / 2
morrisman1, Aug 11, 11:14am
Might have the opportunity for one of these coming up. Wondering if its a starter. I currently have a p11 Primera wagon which is working well for me, but isnt overly economical for what it is, and is on the light side for the towing I do. What I do like about the primera is the boot space of the wagon, it comes in handy but its not all that often that I need all the space it offers.

What's the FG XR6 (08 model) like in general? This one is a 6 speed auto and has 200,000km and the heavy tow package fitted.

My normal running is just standard run to work, its not very long at all. I tow a car on a trailer every couple weeks, its total weight is about 1400kg, mostly short distances but sometimes will be longer (mainly 600km or less).

Although I am not after a fuel miser, I also am aware of fuel costs. I currently do about 8L/100km open road, and 12.5L/100km on my commute.

yogibearz, Aug 11, 6:19pm
wife drives an FG 2010 and the fuel consumption is around what your getting from your Primera. We love it . so far its a good car at 80000km.

ntalke, Aug 11, 7:15pm
Would make sure the Transmission has been well serviced at that K's

If you are using for short work runs you could be around 15 l/p 100k but will do 8 l/p100k on the open road, have a BF Turbo and has averaged 10.8 l/p100k over 100,000k

Expect the usual ball joints,bushes and disc rotors

whqqsh, Aug 11, 7:40pm
Have been told the first of the 6 speeds werent that good & (not sure if it's this year) if a certain year came out with either the 5 speed is the more reliable option, also if its got a plastic trans pan get that replaced with a steel one. was told this when getting my old 'coon trans serviced & mentioned I was looking at a Boss ute

thunderbolt, Aug 11, 7:40pm
I did 160K in my 08 FG, no real issues.
I think diff bushes were done under warranty though.
Fuel consumption was under 10/100 average, couldn't get Tyres to last much more than 30k though.
Would have gladly picked up another one but I needed more room.

tamarillo, Aug 11, 8:26pm
If you can keep a light foot you might be surprised by the Falcons economy. It can equal the Primera easily, though also depends on type of commute you do.
Used these few times as rentals for work and liked them, especially on open road. Such good open road cars. The six speeder made it a much better car all round.

mopsy3, Aug 11, 10:30pm
Why would you compare a Ranger to an XR6?

melonhead1, Aug 11, 10:39pm
Be warned, that right pedal results in great grins. It might be hard to resist.

gman35, Aug 11, 10:58pm
You say the wagon was handy when occasionally using it and I totally agree, certainly I think I would find a sedan with a normal boot annoying more often than not , and cannot understand why (especially in today's age when SUV's are apparently so popular due to their "practicality") there are not more 5dr hatch body styles available in mainstream brands above their smaller models , in large cars such as Falcon/Commodore/Maxima/Avalon-
etc. there is really nothing at all, but at least Holden does a wagon.
Why people buy sedans in anything other than a very high-end luxury brand is beyond me.

ntalke, Aug 11, 11:19pm
Another advantage would be the 60/40 rear seat split
Also have a Maxima that has the 60/40 rear seat

A mountain bike will fit with the front wheel removed in the Falcon but not in the Maxima

The 60/40 Rears in both are a great feature

gman35, Aug 12, 2:43am
You mean even with the seats folded ? as it's crazy that a car of the Maxima's size wont take a MTB and especially with the front wheel out !
And does even the current Commodore sedan still only have a fold down "armrest" only ? (to carry something like skis and . ummm)
Hopeless.

tamarillo, Aug 12, 3:56am
Sedans; quieter, damp smelly stuff stays in boot, stronger body shell can improve ride/handling, looks. It's personal, except for need to carry big dog is a sedan.

tamarillo, Aug 12, 3:57am
bikes go outside the car not inside.

carclan, Aug 12, 6:48am
I test drove a G6E Turbo today, sadly sold by the time I got back. Throughly recommend one.

marmar1, Aug 12, 6:48am
Sedans or possibly a station wagon for me and leave the SUV for the missus.

h.e, Aug 12, 7:26am
I took a BF xr6 turbo out last week. Loved it, a quick car. Was very tempted but after looking into it a bit more seen plenty of fg xr6 available for not much more coin. Will watch this thread with interest

serf407, Aug 12, 8:21am
Haynes are updating the Falcon manual soon with FG, so I hope they show the differences between BF/2 and FG.
http://octanebooks.co.nz/ford-falcon-ba-bf-fg-2002-14-repair-manual-6-cylinder-due-september-2015-9781620920237
Did the FG towing kit have a separate oil cooler for the transmission to avert milkshake trans?

monaro17, Aug 12, 9:23am
now that question is like opening a can of worms. according to Ford that problem was fixed with the BF2 upgrade. It was the first model to have an externally mounted heat exchanger. However the BF2 and even the FG still have the rare problem of milkshaking.

And yes all falcons for many many years had a trans oil cooler as part of the towing package but that package is nearly unheard of in NZ new cars, hence this one is a rarity

melonhead1, Aug 12, 9:25am
Get them to get you a manual transmission xr6.

morrisman1, Aug 12, 10:58am
good feedback thanks, This one is a dealer supplied HD tow package, apparently they have external coolers stock. Its rated over 2 tonne with 230kg tongue load so pretty decent capacity.

Any indication of what the fuel usage would be like while towing a 1400kg car trailer?

ntalke, Aug 12, 6:21pm
If it's had a external cooler fitted the standard Coolant/transmission fluid cooler block would have been removed or blocked off
The cooler does two things heat the Transmission fluid at start up and cool it and if correctly fitted should not give to much grief

The standard FG trans cooler apparently gives more problems as it's Chinese made where the earlier ones were German (Siemens) but the odd one fell over

Plenty on the XR6 T Forums about it

carclan, Aug 16, 5:00am
I just purchased a G6E Turbo and find it quite good economy wise. Power wise it is fantastic.

sifty, Aug 16, 5:06am
Try a 1973 Falcon. They have a cool interior compared to any Japper knees model of the era.

gunhand, Aug 16, 5:50am
Cool as in their heaters never worked so good?

tamarillo, Aug 16, 7:26am
Swap brands and try new VF commodore.