Radio signal bad, how to fix?

nzlotrfan, Mar 19, 2:54am
The signal for my car's radio is really static-y, I don't remember when it became so bad, but I don't remember it always being like this. But the moment I touch the aerial, the signal turns crystal clear. How do I fix this so I don't have to drive everywhere with the window down touching the aerial? Thanks!

kazbanz, Mar 19, 2:55am
What is the year/make/model ?

nzlotrfan, Mar 19, 2:57am
Toyota Cynos, 1993.

jmma, Mar 19, 3:00am
Tighten aerial (o:

ema1, Mar 19, 3:21am
Antenna grip plate possibly not grounding cleanly on bodywork aperture, other thing is check the coaxial antenna cable plug at the radio end to see if plug is partially out of it's socket on the radio itself.
Possibly but rarely found is the sheilding on the coaxial cable could be defective somewhere or the element wire inside the cable has a break in it?
Addition. Make sure the radio set itself is properly grounded to the car ground system, either by a cable to metal bodywork in dash ground point or directly by the radio being grounded by a mounting that is directly mounted to metal bodywork?
Also check the speaker wiring for any possible breakage, partially disconnected plugs or dry solder joints or indeed defective speakers?
If the above fails to correct faults mentioned here, check out the radio itself for any defects.

topzone, Apr 23, 6:07pm
It's a 23 year old vehicle, I would replace the aerial (cable oxidation) and clean and check the earths, according to the info you have given.