Battery light staying on

xs1100, Oct 18, 4:06am
Nissan z24 motor thinking alternator, belt seems tight enough, have put battery on charge to see if that's the problem battery would be at least 5 yrs old

franc123, Oct 18, 4:22am
And the charging voltage is. ?

2sheddies, Oct 18, 4:22am
Alternator not charging is the usual reason for the charge light coming on, therefore the battery will keep going flat. Probably be good to put a new battery in at the same time you sort out the alt issue. 5 years would be getting near the end of it's usefulness I'd say.

xs1100, Oct 18, 9:03am
that's my next Qs I ve never done the electronics don't even have a multi meter so just get one set it to volts and what check the battery cables

skin1235, Oct 18, 9:09am
yep, $10 warehouse jobbie, check the battery voltage prior to starting the engine, expect about 12.8V, maybe on a good battery 13V, then start the engine, expect 14.4 or better
then turn the lights on, heater on, aircon on etc, and you should still get 14 plus, if not the alt is not charging to its fullest capacity

some auto sparkie will now argue the exact numbers etc, but if the above isn't there you have an alt issue

andy61, Oct 18, 9:11am
Put some new brushes in the alternator and the light should go out.You might be lucky and not need to replace battery.

mark.52, Oct 18, 9:12am
You place the terminals of the multi meter against the respective battery leads (positive/negative).

With the engine not running, voltage should be around 12-13. (13.2 for a charged battery in good condition.)

Charging voltage should be above that, typically 13.5-14.5 - I don't know for this car. Obv it's measured with the engine running, at slightly above idle speed.

skin1235, Oct 18, 9:22am
xs1100, I know I said a $10 jobbie, but if you can spring for the $39 jobbie, it has audio, great for testing continuity, also has temp degrees c, which is yet another great wee toy at times, they also seem to have a smaller error factor, the above are just two of the enhanced functions they have

xs1100, Jan 26, 2:24am
cheers guys appreciate it