Old guys keeping cars forever

Page 2 / 2
stevo2, Sep 13, 8:13pm
sr2, And thats the first time I've ever heard the full 18 minute version of "Alice's Restaurant".
Have you uploaded any of your music and have any links? Especially your Pink Floyd stuff.
Big fan.

pestri, Sep 13, 10:43pm
Hmmm, this guys gotta point tho!

"" If you win the lottery, the first thing I want you to get me is a face lift and a boob job," said my 49 year old girlfriend as I was checking my ticket.

"Well, actually, the first thing I would buy is a reconditioned engine and a respray for my Civic," I replied.

"Why would you waste your money tarting that old thing up, you might as well get yourself a new one," she said.

"My point exactly""

intrade, Sep 13, 10:58pm
late models will cost you a lot more in service costs , plus all the electronics faulty that no one is trained to quickly find will cost you tousends of tousends of $ if they even ever find it at your expense.

tintop, Sep 13, 11:54pm
Oh Intrade - you are such a cheer germ!

mrfxit, Sep 13, 11:59pm
LOL, ouch

mrfxit, Sep 14, 12:01am
Tis true tho, (to a certain extent)
Who would have thought a blown brake light could put a gearbox in to limp mode.
Or a blown interior light bulb could lock a security system

sr2, Sep 14, 12:04am
I'm hoping to have her back on the road mid next year but Mrs sr2's started making house renovation noises which could slow the process. Keep an eye on the blog.

elect70, Sep 14, 1:28am
Im same i dont really want new car with all the fancy gizmos junk more to go wrong & when it does its mega $ to fix . But lotto would put me in a new F type convertible

tintop, Sep 14, 2:17am
Indeed :)

tintop, Sep 14, 2:26am
Got a new Corolla here - cant hear the engine, cant even see the bloody thing. Barely perceptible gear changes. even changes down by itself when going down hill! Completely lacking in 'car' character at all!

Just as well I still have my 94 Hilux 2.4 Diesel :)
Fills the gap till I get my MGB GT going again.

melonhead1, Sep 14, 4:04am
Running a Falcon is cheaper than running a wife.
Keep the car, ditch the girl.

2sheddies, Sep 14, 4:16am
This is true. although often the first owners alright. They buy new and get the best out of it, then ditch it. It's the poor buggers three or four owners down the track who can't afford new cars, who might get saddled with the repairs, once it's got a couple hundred clicks on it.

trogedon, Sep 14, 4:21am
You old Hippie!

esky-tastic, Sep 14, 5:05am
Ripper blog sr2 - you're a closet hot-rodder!

tintop, Sep 14, 6:00am
If it has tits or tyres - it will cost anyway!

budgel, Sep 14, 7:40am
I'm 65 and have a 1999 BMW 740i that drives well and goes straight through its 6 monthly warrant checks. These cars sell for bugger all now, so I have the view that I might as well hang on to it rather than take two or three grand for it. I'm not doing daily driving anymore so fuel consumption is not a biggie. There may come a time that it starts to cost me money that I cant afford, but in the meantime I still enjoy driving it every time I use it and will own it for the forseeable future.
I also have a ute for practical jobs and a little old Audi quattro that I am playing with as a low key track car. Even old guys can have some fun!

sr2, Sep 14, 9:34am
A 99 740i is a great drive in my books.

ema1, Sep 14, 11:33am
Bugger me sr2 that's not a car . that's a family member matey?

ruby2014, Sep 14, 6:54pm
When you get older , you want a more reliable car that has air con for the summer months.

dave653, Sep 14, 10:23pm
Had mine for 30 years now, and still a daily driver. Mrs knows she's gone before the car goes.
Tintop, I know what you mean, the wifes VN is quiet, smooth, auto, electric everything. where's the driving joy?

budgel, Sep 14, 10:30pm
I think so, and the rego nearly halved with the recent adjustments.

I enjoyed reading about your your Vauxhall, good luck with the rejuvenation!

bjmh, Sep 15, 1:33am
sr2 that is one of the best reads I've had for years. good luck with your mighty Vaux.

happychappy50, Sep 15, 5:56am
What a great read sr2,several decades of much joy & a bit of pain yet still lurks the passion with rigamortise.

Cheers & well done

elect70, Jun 23, 1:13am
same age & i have E36 328 s coupe , with 18 inch wheels widest rubber allowed . Suits me its now at 285 k & still no faults & im 4th owner even battery is 6 years old