Old guys keeping cars forever

Page 1 / 2
fhpottery, Sep 13, 8:07am
Oh hell it's me now (cringe). Ive got a V8 Ghia AU and its mint but needs a paint job. Do I paint it for 1500$ or get a late model FG for 10000$? Just gave the old girl a polish and its a pretty nice car considering trade in value probably 2K. When do you guys decide to trade in the old faithful?

xs1100, Sep 13, 8:14am
when it doesn't get a wof,must be the Scottish in me I would hate to take the burn in a car I brought 16 yrs ago so therefore never gotten rid of it

whqqsh, Sep 13, 8:18am
got the same with my EL V8 Fairmont wagon. its days are numbered though I fear.

fhpottery, Sep 13, 8:22am
You could use it for your funeral?

fhpottery, Sep 13, 8:22am
My V8 was owned by a funeral director. nice and slow and cruisey.

fhpottery, Sep 13, 8:25am
I saw an old guy in his original vauxhall velour the other day. He staggered out with a walking stick, it was amazing . Even had his original wife and doilies on the back seat.

kevymtnz, Sep 13, 8:28am
1998 is not old try 1987

tintop, Sep 13, 8:33am
1969 MGBGT ?

muzz67, Sep 13, 8:37am
$1000 per year. Pay 10grand,, gotta get 10years out of it.

serf407, Sep 13, 8:41am
Trading one dinosaur Falcon for another dinosaur Falcon.
Do the illogical keep the AU, give it a medium price paint job, if it is not rusting too much.
That $10K FG might depreciate some more when they stop making them or you might pick up a better FG for $10k when buyers start avoiding them because Falcons are no longer made.

nightboss, Sep 13, 8:46am
Velour?

monaro17, Sep 13, 8:50am
[quote=serf407. when buyers start avoiding them because Falcons are no longer made.[/quote]

Quite an assumption there, I doubt it would make much of a difference at all to how they sell

socram, Sep 13, 8:57am
Might have meant Velox!

I have 1 x 60 year old car - which has been the subject of a long- winded (and very expensive) project. That is not leaving as it has cost way too much.

Another is 45 years old - but so low, (42" to the top of the roof) that it will have to go only when I can't get out of it unaided. It is unlikely to fall apart as the steel spaceframe chassis was fully restored 22 years ago and the body is fibreglass anyway.

Not sure about the Cooper S. First car I ever bought brand new (2002) and still as good as new, but I still treat it like a brand new car!

Two-seater at 1998 is just a cheapie and no real emotional attachment as yet, so basically, if you are attached to the car, you keep it, even though common-sense says you shouldn't!

tintop, Sep 13, 9:11am
I know the feeling - I had a MGA Coupe. Couldn't bear to sell it - so I gave it away! lol

xs1100, Sep 13, 9:25am
why wouldn't it be his original wife have you seen how much those things cost to run. got rid of mine and kept the car better deal I reckon

muzz67, Sep 13, 9:35am
Was she wearing velour?

sr2, Sep 13, 9:39am
I've only had my car for 42 years, I'm not sure what point the OP is trying to make?

http://oldschool.co.nz/2011/forum/index.php?/topic/49842-sr2%E2%80%99s-1947-vauxhall-%E2%80%9Crigamortice%E2%80%9D-build-thread/

extrayda, Sep 13, 10:01am
Cool Vauxhall there sr2. Impressive you have had it for so many years.
Added bonus of being a Pink Floyd fan.

lookoutas, Sep 13, 10:06am
That's self infliction to the max!

tamarillo, Sep 13, 10:53am
Op, why bother painting it? It's called patina, or who cares?

jmma, Sep 13, 11:21am
Enjoyed reading your blog, I think you have redefined the word Love (o:

franc123, Sep 13, 11:45am
The AU has bottomed out in value, an FG most certainly hasn't. I'd be hanging on to the AU, especially if it was a lowish km 2000-02 version, unmolested V8's will certainly go up in value if cared for. The ole Fairmont Ghia was the most tasteful and best equipped car for the money in the whole range, it still handles well and was a nicer cruiser than the XR8 ever was without the Fairlanes bargeness and corporate cab image and LTD's ponciness and ministerial image. They do what they do very well.

whqqsh, Sep 13, 6:20pm
That'll be the Jailbar. I might have it on the road by then with any luck

stevo2, Sep 13, 7:27pm
Best read in a long time. When do you hope to have "Rigamortice" back on the road?

purple666, Sep 13, 8:11pm
Those real early wives are pretty economical (would have put cheap but they can be a little snarky with that choice of wording) to run, not like the late model ones.