Tyre pressure for VW Golf

lindsay26, Jun 7, 11:11pm
Hi. I have recently bought a VW Golf with 195/65R15 tyres. Can someone please tell me what the correct tyre pressure should be? The info on the sticker inside the petrol flap says 180kpa -but that's only 26psi which is ridiculous! Many thanks

intrade, Jun 7, 11:18pm
2 bar to 2.2 bar so 30 to 32 on them tyre filler machines
2 bar =
29.0075475 pounds per square inch

msigg, Jun 7, 11:39pm
Yes as said 32 - 38 I like to run my tyre harder than the recommended, over time they leak a little anyway, you get better economy, each to their own.

tamarillo, Jun 8, 2:41am
Always run higher, you lose a little softness but gain accuracy in steering and better control in extreme, ie trying to dodge a kid that runs out etc.
Try 38 front and 36 back. Or 38 all round.
Most defensive driving courses will suggest same.

lindsay26, Jun 8, 4:13am
Thanks everyone - that's really helpful

daryl14, Jun 8, 10:08am
What would be even more helpful- is if you go and have a read of the words on your tyre- in a teach-a-man-to-fish kind of way.

bill-robinson, Jun 8, 11:20pm
I just went and looked on my tyres ans it says 51psi max but the sticker on the door says 34psi. who do I believe daryl14, you, the trye, or the builder of my car?

jesus2000, Jun 8, 11:45pm
daryl14 is wrong about getting the tyre pressure to run off the sidewall as it only states max pressure for inflating a tyre when getting it to seat on the bead. Nothing to do with the running pressure that the car manufacturer will state.

ridiculousness, Jun 9, 12:01am
well it's quite easy to work out on what you have given. So it has a MAXIMUM of 51psi and the door RECOMMENDED inflation is 34psi

daryl14, Jun 9, 12:07am
The trye, Bill. Whatever you do, always believe in the trye. Whatever that is.

jesus2000, Jun 9, 1:10am
Ummm.

"This maximum inflation pressure number, (51 PSI) indicates the maximum air pressure the tire can hold while in operation. This does not represent the recommended inflation pressure for the vehicle it is installed on. You should always set your air pressure to your vehicle manufacturer??

richardmayes, Jun 9, 1:49am
That depends. too much over-inflation and you start to get a reduced size contact patch between the road and your tyre (due to excess pressure making the tyre balloon out into a donut shape) and that can make the steering feel nice and light but it can also make your handling VERY dodgy in the wet!

If the people who spent millions designing and testing the car suggest the pressure should be XX, you should probably run at XX unless you are pretty confident you know YY is better!

bill-robinson, Jun 9, 1:51am
it is a lot better than WRONG information

intrade, Jun 9, 1:53am
jesus is on to it you dont inflate a tyre to its maximum tested pressure the pressure is the test pressure above that it can blow off the rimm or blow out, and its not what pressure your suposed to fill it with

jason_247, Jul 12, 7:33pm
I agree with intrade. around 32psi has always worked for me with similar sized tyres.

running them at 38 will likely lead to alot more wear on the center section of tyre. and a very hard ride on such a light car

it also depends on what era golf it is. the early light ones do have a recommended pressure of 180kpa as they have less weight on each wheel.

I would talk to a reputable tyre shop and see what they recommend for that tyre on that car