1 lane for cars 2 lanes for bikes

Page 1 / 2
differentthings, Jul 29, 11:54pm

saxman99, Jul 29, 11:59pm
Looks more like a population control technique than a cycle safety trial. Crikey.

tweake, Jul 30, 12:02am
NZTA are morons. what where they thinking. probably what to smoke next!
these idiots need sacking and replacing with people.

321mat, Jul 30, 1:03am
Who will pay for the upkeep of the road?

It is unjust and immoral to expect ratepayers and motorists to pay, as not all of them ride bicycles.

The only way to ensure equality is to levy a USER-PAYS tax on ALL cyclists (kids on little bikes excluded).

Cyclists will gladly welcome this cost, as it is FAIR and TRANSPARENT, and by doing this, they will rest happily knowing that other motorist are aware that they are paying their fair share.

richardmayes, Jul 30, 1:19am
Why stop there?

Surely there are more cyclists in Auckland city than in the country near cambridge. Turn a couple of lanes on all Auckland motorways into cycle lanes. Go on. It is the way of the future.

brapbrap8, Jul 30, 1:24am
Bikes don't wear roads out though do they?
If there were less cars and trucks on the road, the cost of maintaining the road would drop accordingly so I don't see why cyclists would need to pay a tax.
Not to mention the huge savings to be made in the health system from reduced diseases from a fitter and healthier population if more people cycled.

I think the answer is stricter driver training and enforcement, especially if we can work out a way to teach drivers the patience and courtesy skills that most people seem to be missing.
Cyclists and cars mix okay on most roads, as long as nobody does anything stupid.

bill-robinson, Jul 30, 1:28am
the last word is the active one

bwg11, Jul 30, 1:37am
I'm speechless. In this state all I can think of to say is "Shit for brains".

richardmayes, Jul 30, 1:42am
The 100km/h stopping distance for very good cars with very good drivers is between 30m and 40m.

The 30km/h stopping distance for cyclists would be about 10m.

So obviously, the sensible way to "manage the safety of road users" is to create a situation where the CARS are at constant risk of head-on collisions, and the bikes never are.

elect70, Jul 30, 2:10am
shush they might hear you & actually do it , idiocy needs no bounds , . To think our taxes pay these idiots salary .

tamarillo, Jul 30, 2:31am
I genuinely thought this was a joke. But I rather fear not.
And double stupid is lowering the speed limit to accommodate this. Since man invented wheel we've been striving for speed, and these buggers want to go slower. Humph

morrisjvan, Jul 30, 9:31am
how did that get to that stage and no-one spotted any flaws?

jmma, Jul 30, 10:19am
Cars down the outside and bikes in the middle lane, that should work (o:

upnorth, Jul 30, 11:04am
Drive to instruction from the bottom of a drivers license form "Tear along dotted line"

floscey, Jul 30, 7:53pm
who ever signed off on this should never be given another chance .

nukhelenc, Jul 30, 9:24pm
LMAO that is so funny, what would the overseas drivers in camper vans do in this case. Its so funny, was it April fools day when it was done

petal_91, Jul 30, 9:31pm
This system works fine in the Netherlands where it is nice and flat and you can see other vehicles coming a long distance away. I can't see why it can't work here in the right areas.

tweake, Jul 31, 12:23am
done right, the right lines, right signs, good roads, drivers education etc, yes it could be done in some areas.

but as they didn't do any of those things its complete ballsup.

also its rather offensive that they use the public as crash test dummies.

glendikoorey, Jul 31, 2:08am
Stuff.co.nz,only told half the story; hence all the online comments. They didn't show a picture of the signs at the start of the section that explain how it works; and didn't show a photo of a rural example from the Netherlands or Denmark where they are very common. Also didn't explain this is a trial of options for low-volume narrow rural roads where cycling safety is a common concern in NZ (popular for cycle touring, road training), so suggestions of trying it in urban areas or widening the road are completely irrelevant. Also on curves it reverts back to a normal two-lane road, so you'd be doing well to head-on someone.

It sounds like NZTA and the Council didn't do a great job fully explaining all this, and that was the biggest failing, not the idea itself. This is a very cost-effective and internationally proven way to improve cycling safety in a situation that is very common around NZ. I look forward to the trial resuming once everyone knows all about it!

glendikoorey, Jul 31, 2:09am
Here's some background reading so that you can keep up with the rest of the country. http://cyclingchristchurch.co.nz/2013/02/18/mythbusting-cyclists-dont-pay/

elect70, Jul 31, 3:14am
We have enough problems with tourist crashes now without adding more complications. & most rural roads arent wide enough for it . Unless they are going to spend millions $ widening them for sake of a few non RUC paying cycling freaks . As it is there is hardly enough room for bikes on the shoulder .

neell, Jul 31, 4:10am
In the Netherlands the cyclist has total right of way - no matter what. If a car and a cyclist collide it is the car drivers fault - end of story.

brapbrap8, Jul 31, 6:40am
Similar to on the water how powerboats always give way to sail boats.
Seems to work well, never hear boaties complaining about them boat shoe wearing yachties, weaving all over the harbour.

tweake, Jul 31, 9:51am
ocean is a bit wider than a road.
see what they say when its a two boat wide river!

crankypants69, Dec 6, 8:12am
It would be faster on a bicycle at peak times