Parked in an area marked with broken yellow lines

master-trader, Jan 24, 7:31am
Does anyone the specifics of the interpretation of this offense?

The relevant legislation reads "A driver or person in charge of a vehicle must not stop, stand, or park the vehicle on any part of a roadway where the road controlling authority has marked a broken yellow line parallel to, and at a distance of not more than 1 m from, the edge of the roadway."

I have asked the council at what point they determine a vehicle is parked on broken yellow lines. Other than the obvious of actually on the yellow lines they can't provide a defined answer. If 10cm of bumper is above the first yellow line am I parked in an area marked by yellow lines ? They just keep referring to the legislation, which is fine, but am unsure at what point do they determine you are in the yellow area when you aren't actually on the yellow lines. They can't provide a defined answer.

Does anyone how this is interpreted . It seems to have various applications in our street.

jmma, Jan 24, 7:40am
Think of the yellow lines as a brick wall 2 metres high, does this help?

master-trader, Jan 24, 7:42am
Yeah sweet. I hoped the council would've explained it in such a simple manner and justify why the varying enforcement.

pico42, Jan 24, 7:49am
Varying enforcement comes from the vagaries of human nature.

exwesty, Jan 24, 10:09am
I have seen parking spaces and even parked in them where a single space is between marked yellow lines, my wheel base is between the lines and parked correctly but some of my body work overhangs the yellow lines which butt up to the marked space. Never been ticketed for it.

Dear Abbie,

Should I buy a shorter vehicle?

pauldw, Jan 24, 2:27pm
In Wellington for cars the wardens use tyre position ie if wheels are inside parking space they don't count overhang.

master-trader, Jan 24, 8:01pm
The tyre position thing make it more interesting??

clark20, Jan 24, 8:46pm
They are special drop off points at my kids school, as they mark the entrance so kids can get in and out safely, however a lot of people think they can stop there and get/let their kids out/in. When hit up they say only letting my kids out Drrrr. It is really bad, and especially with new NZers.

tintop, Jan 24, 8:53pm
If the over all length of the restriction is 30m or less, the markings are 900mm long with a 1m gap. If the over all length of the restriction is greater than 30m the gap may be increased to 2m. This is optional.

So - if the gap between the end of one marking and the beginning of the next is greater than what is required or allowed, it is not a no stopping restriction. Ah ha - but watch out for signs as well, :)

I am not certain about a vehicle overhanging the beginning or the end of the markings, but you may park to the left of a no stopping marking provided that no part of the vehicle overhangs the markings. The brick wall approach is of course the safest.

kazbanz, Jan 24, 9:52pm
The council needs to be specific Its not up to us on a motoring message board from all over NZ to make a definition.
So are you correct? or is it wheel placement?
THEY need to give a clearcut reply one way or another.-its hardly rocket science is it?

afer_daily, Jan 24, 10:31pm
would it depend on how far the line is out from the kerb / there seems to be variations in distance all over the country . so what if the line is a piece of string distance out from the kerb and you can fit a motorcycle or even a car between the line and the kerb ?

pauldw, Jan 24, 11:22pm
With just broken yellow you can't park anywhere on the road way but can park on a verge unless there's a bylaw against that. Broken yellow plus No Stopping signs includes verges as well.

master-trader, Jul 24, 6:10pm
the line needs to be parallel to the kerb and <1m from the kern .