Imported damaged cars

1516, Aug 24, 5:02am
http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/71254235/the-case-of-the-mangled-mazda
Yet another trader bringing in damaged cars from Oz. Note NO CIN cards. Is there no policing this- IT IS ILLEGAL. Back in the days they would have been hauled before the MVDI, fined and probably have their licence suspended or cancelled.

snoopy221, Aug 24, 5:14am
Same vehicle now relisted (dealer listing ) refer stuff article.
20 photos but no C I N aren't dealers supposed to list with a C I N?

geedubu, Aug 24, 6:28am
And if you search TME there is another seller offering a new similar Mazda imported damaged and fixed for 17,900. Nothing wrong with putting them up for sale and telling the truth as it could be a perfectly usable car - the problem is con artists hiding the story.

jmma, Aug 24, 6:33am
You have the wrong one (o:
Different Red and not rego'd
The sellers new name is in Stuff article.

nightboss, Aug 24, 6:46am
This. Especially the TELLING THE TRUTH part.

tamarillo, Aug 24, 7:29am
I WAS WRONG, THIS LISTING IS NOT SAME CAR.

kazbanz, Aug 24, 8:46pm
You do know there are now THREE threads on this subject.
I'm In total agreement with your outrage on this subject BUT you need to be clear who you are having a go at and what you are referring to as illegal.
1)The seller deliberately portrayed themselves as a PRIVATE seller. Yet on investigation turned out to be a TRADER.
2)It is not illegal to import damaged vehicles from overseas.It is not illegal to repair and sell those vehicles in NZ
3) It IS illegal to be a trader and fail to display a CIN card
4)it is illegal to be a trader and fail to note on the CIN card that the vehicle was imported as a damaged vehicle.

The guts of this case was that the seller definitely was a Licenced trader but was trying to portray himself as a private seller.

tgray, Aug 24, 8:49pm
If you want to see dealers selling all their trade in cars as private sellers, simply visit the Car fair's on a Sunday morning.

kazbanz, Aug 24, 9:46pm
Is that the case --or is it "carpetbaggers"?
Fly buy nighters who have no intention of being around in a year let alone long term.
ither don't get a licence or get one and shut up "shop" when the heat comes on.

buyit59, Sep 2, 3:18am
People like this would not survive if it was not for the greed of the buyers. What were they thinking when they tried to buy a 'brand new' car from a private buyer at $$$ less than it would normally sell for . Wonder what sort of tripe they believed because they were blinded by saving so much .