Most optimal oil change intervals

Page 2 / 2
gazzat22, Mar 28, 9:41pm
What "additives " do oil companies add? I would prefer to add my own .

bwg11, Mar 28, 9:51pm
For one, zinc. Oil chemistry is a science in itself, and I certainly don't have the chemistry skills to understand half of it, other than knowing that the "additives" which need to be added to "straight" mineral oils so that they can meet modern engine manufacturers requirements is a complex science and certainly can't be bought in a bottle at SuperCheap.

a.woodrow, Mar 28, 10:36pm
You are still running on the original oil and filter for your 2002 corolla? And you've NEVER changed the oil and filter on your terrano? When you sell these vehicles are you going to tell potential buyers that they have never been serviced or are you going to keep quiet on that?

gazzat22, Mar 28, 11:13pm
What about synthetic oils ?

bwg11, Mar 29, 12:07am
I guess a synthetic base would need the similar wear reducing and anti-oxidant additives as a petroleum base oil and would be just as prone to contamination as petroleum based oils.

clark20, Mar 29, 2:28am
Tell me why you change the oil filter at 5000km. If the motor is good and no wear, the filter should have very little in it, so why change it?

rovercitroen, Apr 6, 6:01pm
I read an article somewhere that it was not wise to change the oil filter too often as testing had shown that the filtering ability improved as the filter got contaminated - up to a point. So changing the oil filter every 5000kms may be worse for the engine than changing it every 10 - 15000kms. Personally I used to be a "change every 5000km" guy but using good oil and filters I think 10 -12,000 km or one year is fine with a modern petrol engine. Any more than that and the later owners of the vehicle get the benefit.