Which oil grade?

monaro17, Feb 3, 8:08am
Hi again people

What oil grade do you suggest for a 1989 Nissan Pulsar import? It has the 1.5L GA15S engine. (does anybody know the oil tank capacity?)

Also the radiator needs a flush- would the green coolant be the one to choose for this car? (again does anybody know the capacity?)

Google has not been my friend on this topic

Thanks

msigg, Feb 3, 8:13am
Yes green is good, I use the castrol 15-40 for all our pulsars and honda and vintage car, all have lasted well, as expected, Many years ago my partner worked for Castrol so I had contact with the chemists that worked there and lots of free oil, but have been sold on it for years, Normally a good price.

monaro17, Feb 3, 8:39am
Thanks ill look around for some of that. A common answer on the net seems to be 20w-50. It seems this is the go to oil for these older small cars

intrade, Feb 3, 8:58am
89 nissan anything solong as you dont use redstamp wharhouse crap magnatech is a popular oil for old cars

morrisman1, Feb 3, 9:00am
20w50 is a bit agricultural for that engine, its nothing fancy but go thinner. 5w40 would be what I would run, 10w40 be the thickest.

jmma, Feb 3, 9:03am
Is that until she drove off and you could hear that the timing was out by 10 degrees Lol (o:

monaro17, Feb 3, 9:04am

quickbuck, Feb 3, 9:07am
Your car is not that old. I would use 10-40 Magnatec, because that is what I have in the garage and it goes in all my 4 wheel vehicles. 3.5 to 4 litres will do it.
Pour about 3 litres in to the engine (It will go into the sump, your car is unlikely to have a remote reservoir / dry sump). Give the engine a run so you fill the filter. Then after a while look at the dip stick and see where the oil is on it. Some vehicles say 5 minutes. Other not so friendly engines say it has to be cold. I say 5 minutes is long enough for the oil to get back down to the sump.
Typically the distance between Low and Full on the dip stick is 1 litre. So if it is half way between you need another 500 mils (half a litre). I think you get the picture. Note: if it is not a litre between marks it will have a number stamped on it, like 0.8 that was on my Mazda. The 0.8 means 0.8 of a litre or 800 mls. So half way between the lines was 400 mls.

As for coolant, I would buy about 4 litres and expect to use about 3/4's of that too.
Again, fill up the radiator to full. Fill the catch bottle.
Run the motor, squeeze the top hose to remove air bubbles and then recheck the level. Top up as required.

quickbuck, Feb 3, 9:08am
Yes! Must buy some myself at that price.

intrade, Feb 3, 9:08am
yup and get a wix filter they have a good name ans are real cheap.

supernova2, Feb 3, 9:21am

msigg, Feb 4, 4:26am
Yes as above good price buy it.

floscey, Feb 4, 4:56am
20w/50 . dont go to thin the old chain and bearings may need a bit of love.

edit: how many kms has it done ? if its done over 200,000 i wouldnt put 5w anything in it.

monaro17, Feb 4, 9:43am
I've bought some 10w-40

It has only done 113,000kms

msigg, Feb 4, 9:26pm
Got another 200k in that motor.

lugee, Feb 4, 9:52pm
Being in Christchurch, and heading into winter, 15w40 would have been quite a bit too thick for those -4 mornings, let alone 20w50. I had 15w40 in my 1.6L Honda one winter and it always bogged for a bit after starting on frosty mornings. Changed to 10w40 and it never happened again, even on colder mornings.

xs1100, Feb 5, 7:27am
even 10-40 could be abit thin might need to chuck a bottle of moreys red in it

morrisman1, Feb 5, 7:33am
I find it amazing that people think that just because an engine is old that it is worn out. Not pointing this at anyone in particular in this thread. My father was sold some 20w50 for his 1999 Primera, which lives in a Te-Anau winter doing short running. I went back to the shop and said that it was absolute crap recommending that grade for that application. The boss of the shop went on a high horse about how he was a mechanic and 20w50 was just fine, even went to the extent of saying that Nissan were wrong and their single listing for 20w50 was correct (when every other listing for that engine was 15w40)

Some it appeared to be an automatic defensive stance, but he was adamant that a 1999 SR20 was an old worn out clapper with huge tolerances.

nzangel1, Jul 6, 9:12am
Cheers supernova2 a handy site.