Recommend a tyre? 215/60 R16 for Falcon

richardmayes, Dec 11, 11:01pm
Hi all;

Our 1999 AU is going to need tyres soon.

All of the brands and model names are totally different in this size than anything I've bought before for smaller cars.

Which makes and models are good, and what should we avoid?

The car is used mainly for open road driving, we cross the Rimutaka hill frequently so need something that steers and brakes well enough, (without being a full-on driving enthusiast performance type tyre) but hard enough to last a reasonable time before all of those corners wear them down.

Oh and we are a young family with only just enough money and this is our main family wagon / workhorse so price is an issue!

mals69, Dec 12, 12:55am
Bridgestone supercats good value for money - handle well
Had buy one, get second one half price recently

whqqsh, Dec 12, 12:59am
Had Michelins on mine (in fact on most big cars Ive owned & have them on my EL V8 wagon now), great stuff. Even the budget ones are better than the market cheapies. I have had supercats & they are good but for a few bucks more (or no difference if you can get a deal) I'd go Michelins

tamarillo, Dec 12, 1:19am
I just put Goodyear optilife on my Volvo wagon.
Stick to name brands you know, you need decent tyres for that hill! But suggest you don't need performance tyres.
I choose these goodyears as best all round value and quality deal offered to me in Nelson. So far pleased with them.
Ask around locally for good brand tyres, mostly around $200 each but always deals on.

richardmayes, Dec 12, 4:20am
Food for thought there, thanks gents. Beaurepaires over the road recommended Goodyear Optilife, it sounds like they are probably a bit better than whatever Tony's is offering for $109 each. ?

mrfxit, Dec 12, 5:01am
Regardless of brand,model .

Run proper tyre pressures.
For the Coon in your situation, probably 34 psi rear & 36 psi front.
If you end up doing a lot of town driving, up the front to 38 or 40 psi.
Back will be fine at 34psi unless you start carting a lot of gear.

Under inflated tyres are the SINGLE biggest killer of front tyres

mrfxit, Dec 12, 5:04am
Remember that each tyre promoted as being better grip then the previous model WILL wear faster 90% of the time regardless of brand or model.

claudek9, Dec 12, 5:10am
DON"T GET SUPERCATS, seriously bad tyre in the wet.

richardmayes, Dec 12, 5:17am
I know - for that reason alone I'm tempted to just go with cheapies as those are usually made of pretty hard rubber!

franc123, Dec 12, 5:23am
Nope it won't need any more than 34psi all round except under VERY high load situations, given its on a 60 profile tyre and is leaf sprung in the back, it will ride bloody awful in urban situations especially. I would not be exceeding that pressure.

rovercitroen, Dec 12, 6:49am
I used an XR6 falcon for a while with Supercats on the rear. VERY slippery in the wet.

mals69, Dec 12, 9:36pm
Sorry for just about potentially killing you OP with the Supercats :)
Mrs got them on her front-wheel drive 2L jappa and go good for the money.

Maybe something from their touring range be better suited to
nose heavy rear wheel drive coon ?

http://www.bridgestonetyrecentre.co.nz/tyres/tyre-results/

supernova2, Dec 12, 9:43pm

mrfxit, Dec 12, 10:01pm
Pretty sure the 99 coon sedans are coil rear

clark20, Dec 12, 11:10pm
Good luck with that, and don't compare old tyres to a set of new, of course the new will be better (for a while anyway)

mrfxit, Dec 13, 4:05am
Once upon a time .

3 liter v6 FWD
Fitted a pair of brand new "Comet" tyres to the front which very rapidly turned out to be like ice skates when wet.

Replaced them with a pair of 2mm Bridgestones of the same size & they vastly out performed the Comets.

just saying theres a lot of factors in choosing tyres

richardmayes, Dec 13, 10:39am
Yes those are. My stationwagon is cart sprung though, and franc has helped me out before on here with advice about this car before.

franc123, Dec 13, 10:51am
All sedans were from 1982 onwards but the vehicle in question is an AU1 wagon. The wagons were leaf sprung until Falcon wagon production stopped with the BF3 in 2008.

franc123, Dec 13, 11:02am
Would be very interested to hear how that works out for you, some impartial real world experience with Jinyu's would be good instead of the usual Don't Buy Chinese Fullstop comments put out by certain posters.

mad_signtist, Dec 14, 12:30am
I would go the goodride tyres

clark20, Dec 14, 12:54am

tomleitch, Dec 14, 8:37pm
Dunlop sp sportmaxx are great on bigger cars, they wear really well and have a bit more meat on the shoulders, I'm not sure if they come in that size though.

mad_signtist, Jun 16, 11:30am
Goodride RP28 / SP06 Recommended by consumer and $92 a tyre! or
KUMHO ZETUM ZH15

http://tyreshoponline.co.nz/shop/catalogue/tyre-search.html

Having run both on my AU and BF falcon wagon I can recommend both. I towed a cherry picker with mine to and found they had great traction in wet and dry