ST185 GT4 Second gear

caleb.b, Jun 21, 3:58am
Im looking at stripping a car out and using it as a track hack for track days and maybe gymkhana like events with the local car club. I have a ST185 GT4 in mind and it seems to go great. Its cosmetically pretty rough but I could slowly work on that. One mechanical problem I have found is that under hard load (Flat out) changing from first to second quickly can sometime result in it feeling like its just gone into neutral. It goes into the gate fine (feels clunky though) but feels like a missed gear selection on a motorcycle. If I change gear again under load but do it a bit more slowly it is fine. Whats the cause likely to be? Just a misaligned shifter? Or the lever gates slogged out? Or an actual gearbox issue?

rbd, Jun 21, 6:30am
Check that the rubber bushings at each end of the shifter cables are not perished. The cables don't always last forever. Some cut out the rubber and replace with machined aluminium bushings.

Also run Redline 75W90NS in the gearbox, The GT-Four gearbox is very finicky. ATF also runs well in it but not so good for final drive durability.

jason_247, May 18, 6:34pm
the rubber shifter cable bushes on toyotas are exactly the same id and od as skateboard wheel bearings so you can pop them in for perfect ends.

and as above run a good redline oil to stop syncro issues, redline mt90 is also reccomended.

syncros dont always crunch so try this first.

otherwise it could be a bent of fatigued fork inside but not hugely likely.