Where to buy butyl rubber tape?

rosehonda, Jan 2, 10:36am
Does anyone know where I can buy butyl rubber tape? Mitre 10, bunnings or supercheap don't have it.

ema1, Jan 2, 11:01am

m16d, Jan 2, 5:56pm

chito, Jan 2, 6:03pm
I bought it at Bunnings from the plumbing dept in Hamilton.

shakespeare6, Jan 2, 6:49pm
Any electrical wholesale, will sell it. It varies in quality depending on brand. I chug through a few cartons of 24 mm linerless every year 3m brand which is not cheap but good, there is a few other options half the price which are ok

rosehonda, Jan 2, 7:11pm
And retailers wonder why people buy online, easy to find vs needle in a hay stack, reasonable pricing vs daylight robbery. Cheers for the suggestions, will continue with phone calls and back and forth emails as I would prefer it soon rather than having to wait

purple666, Jan 2, 7:19pm
Having a mate that worked for the old P&T was always the best way back in the day. Top quality stuff it was too.

henreitta, Jan 2, 8:10pm
x1
Got mine at mitre 10 mega store
But. dont bother asking staff,usually they dont know what you are talking about then they say *No we dont have it*, found mine with all the rubberised paint and special glue

nzmax, Jan 2, 8:47pm
Also used for taping joints/connections in electric fencing, most Farm Merchandise store would have it too.

rz_zone, Jan 2, 9:09pm

xs1100, Jan 3, 2:45am
try wurth also but will be expensive or even RA Johnsons

nzjay, Jan 3, 2:50am
That looks like someones previous attempt to cover up rust.

skin1235, Jan 3, 7:04am
butyl tape used for electrical sealing will never do anything on that job you pic'd

until you tension it and lay it over itself it is useless, and you will never be able to do that with it on that job

I suggest you use a black silicon sealer and read the instructions on when you can begin shaping it - and more importantly how you can shape it

it maybe you need to trowel it on and give it 4 days to cure then trim back with an incredibly sharp blade ie flat razor or scalpel

henreitta, Jan 3, 7:33pm
They dont know what it is ,when you ask, cant remember the brand ,sorry but look around the roofing area. its the same stuff used in the rubber roofing business, yes, adhesive on one side and most of those staff wouldnt even know what it is

Just had a look on m 10 website,, go there and type in " rubber ", shows the stuff i think you want

rosehonda, Jan 3, 8:40pm
That is what I thought originally but can confirm it was fitted from factory. I have been told it is butyl rubber adhesive. It seems like it is. It is not silicone and is certainly adhesive to the car body aswell as itself. It looks as though some butyl tapes are not adhesive and only self amalgamating

skin1235, Mar 30, 5:23pm
fairly sure what you have is the original window seal, it was applied to the body, then the window pressed against it, then an electrical current passed through it to soften it and the window pressed even further into it

yes it was a form of butyl

very few butyl tapes are not self amalgamating - with a light adhesive on one side and a removeable cover on the other - and as above they require tension and pressure to work properly - and will not do what you want

check with smith and smith, ask what they would use, or any of the other automotive glass companies