Around $5K to spend MK3 VR6 Golf or BMW 530i E39

Page 2 / 2
pericles1, Feb 4, 10:53pm
Also after selling my E39 530i and foolishly buying another BMW this time a E46 330i, it made me realise just how bad those E39 actually drive.

skyblue17, Feb 5, 1:55am
So you rave about the Toyota but buy a BMW anyway.? Your argument wasn't very convincing eh.?
Actually Toyota make a habit of chucking big motors into a crap chassis not designed for the power (think Blade G).

ksam, Feb 5, 4:56am
The 'get a Toyota' argument, is about as boring as the car itself.

tamarillo, Feb 5, 6:45am
I'm confused, an older gti it vr6 won't have the dsg box, just plain old fashioned auto surely?

tamarillo, Feb 5, 6:46am
Wow, maybe you had a really bad one. E39 thought of as one of the greats, I love driving them, as do many experts.

twincam1, Feb 5, 6:52am
Cannot go wrong with a Germany built model the same as your tradename. C200. My wife's 2litre uses 7ltrs/100k

thejazzpianoma, Jul 8, 10:55am
While I agree the transmission isn't the greatest, it should be noted that they do last a lot better if they are regularly serviced, something which is often neglected. (an in fairness these were possible advertised as "sealed for life").

Also. while I could be wrong in this instance "oil cooler failure" is often a result of using the wrong coolant which mixes with the original VW coolant and turns to jelly which blocks the cooler. This in turn over heats the transmission and it fails. This again, get's unfairly blamed on the transmission.

Bottom line is, maintain the vehicle properly and use the correct fluids. If the trans is already on it's last legs you are haddit either way. However if you get a good one (ideally freshly rebuilt) and look after it properly, they can last quite well. Certainly a lot longer than a CVT from a Nissan Tiida or Wingroad and plenty of people think those are OK.