Cash for cars.worthwhile?

car_gurl, Sep 13, 8:51am
We have an un warrented, un regd 1995 toyota trueno thats just sittin here we need to get rid of. Is it worth calling one of those cash for cars places to get it taken away. or would we get more selling for parts?

tony9, Sep 13, 9:03am
Just list it as a $1 auction. Since scrap prices dropped the guts has gone out of cash for cars.

2sheddies, Sep 13, 9:12am
A total waste of time. You'd be lucky if they give you $200 for it. As above, put it on $1 reserve, and failing that, strip it yourself if you have the time and space. If the motors good, you could probably get more for that alone, than a scrap joint would pay you for the whole car.

motorboy2011, Sep 13, 9:26am
$1 reserve, I've yet to get less than I wanted this way. I'm doing one atm, market will decide the price.

car_gurl, Sep 13, 10:21am
Thank you! Does anyone know how much to list? Ive tried doing a mock one but it dorsnt come up. not sure if its down or i have a slow connection

westwyn, Sep 13, 10:59am
1995 Trueno- which model is it- or more specifically, which engine? You may be surprised at it's value. The AE101 and AE111 series Truenos and Levins are in demand for bits as they're the perfect 2K Cup car (an under-$2000 race series). Depending on which engine yours has, and if it's auto or manual, might make a BIG difference in value. Can you post up the chassis, engine and gearbox codes? (On the silver "build plate" in the engine bay- NOT the 17-digit VIN number strip tag).

payntr, Sep 13, 11:04am
my daughter had a cash for cars come round to look at a vw Passat they offered her $400.00 she listed it on trade with all the problems the car had,and sold to a mechanic $1400.00.so list on trademe for sure.

car_gurl, Sep 13, 11:10am
Westwyn. Its auto. Not sure on model details but can check tomorrow

kazbanz, Sep 13, 7:05pm
The whole point of cash for cars etc is that its quick easy and convenient.
But you don't get as much for it.
A $1.00 reserve auction takes time and effort on your part
If you feel its worth the effort then go for it.
I would at least go to the effort of giving it a wash before you take photos
And try to give as much detail as you can of the car and how it came to be sitting there--that will reduce the "silly" questions.

car_gurl, Sep 13, 8:08pm
Thanks kazbanz! I will def follow your advice. I think ill give it a go

dasfi, Sep 13, 10:08pm
I could be after a cheap runner. What are you after for it

westwyn, Sep 14, 6:21am
OK thanks- it's an AE110-series, most likely (I'm guessing) a Trueno FZ or XZ coupe with the 1500cc engine and regular auto, If so, then it's far less "desirable" for parts, but still has enough value, even beat-up, to warrant listing it for sale- as Kazbanz has said, a $1.00 Reserve auction with a good set of photos (showing the best points and the worst) and as much information as you can, will no doubt bring you a LOT more than the "cash for cars" or "Cash Now" companies.

Good luck!

car_gurl, Sep 14, 7:11am
Thanks again westwyn. yes its a fz. Didnt get a chance to list today but will asap. drats too dark for pics now. It was parked on the road and i got a $400 no wof or reg fine. so hoping i get enough to pay for the fine! So stink. it was on the road as a mechanic friend was going to take a look on his way home from work. i did drive it to a main road and left it there so totally my fault but the only time it was driven since december!

westwyn, Sep 14, 7:57am
Bugger.

You could try writing to the Council (I assume they're the ones that issued the tickets) and explain you'd left the car on the road for a mechanic to view on his way home, with a view to picking it up and assessing for WOF repairs.

It's worth a try. In my experience the Council aren't 100% hell-bent on getting your fine- they WILL listen if you have a plausible, sensible, reasoned and pleasant excuse. At least, sometimes. Pen ink is cheap!

elect70, Sep 15, 3:30am
Even a rusty XJ6 jag the scrappy would only offer $200 .I actually thought of buying it as a project but it was a non runner & jag 4.2
motors are real PIA to fix&$$$

tony9, Sep 15, 3:45am
You are not a patient pedant then?

kazbanz, Sep 15, 8:58pm
So what exactly is wrong with the car? if you can drive it then maybe you can WOF it. THEN it has a lot more value.
Even if you WOF test it and theres stuff to do its got more value.

intrade, Sep 15, 10:15pm
if i was you i would keep that toyota might be the only car still going of the ones you own in the next 5 years.
right now my only one with no problems is a 95 corolla and i own 8 cars from newish to older

intrade, Sep 15, 10:19pm
these engines are bullet proof my corolla has 330,000km and over 90% compression on all posts with that engine they made 1.4 and 1,6 of that engine electronics are millitary grade on these

elect70, Jun 23, 9:10am
No we built one up for stock car when Te marua speedway opened . Spent 2 days just getting the bucket tappetts right , grinding down pads . never again . I also owned a 85 daimler jag & the lucas mechanical FI was also a pain in the rear