New Top Gear?

mike1345, May 15, 10:42pm

galex, May 15, 11:14pm
Let's hope so.

elect70, May 16, 1:09am
They'd probably use Goodwood as its base , been seen hanging around there .

socram, May 16, 1:37am
Might have to look at how Netfix works then.

Not a great lover of downloading anything other than YouTube from the interweb - up to now.

BBC TV owns "the Stig" and like most on here, appreciate what that anonymous near F1 standard racer brought to the programme, whether as a tester, instructor or figure of fun. An essential ingredient I would have thought. Goodwood is a fantastic old time race track, still in its 1966 set up, but a fair run from where the presenters live - but they'll need the wide open spaces of an aerodrome, if they are to follow the previous format.

Is Blackbushe airport, west of London, still a potential venue or is it now a housing estate? It would be an ideal location (for them) as they used to have drag racing there many moons ago and it is easy to access.

whqqsh, May 16, 1:55am
I sort of hoped they'd just quietly go away. They've all got enough dosh to comfortably retire on & TBH it was getting very same-same, only differences were trying top the last 'adventure' (read: contrived series of situations in different places)
Either a major shakeup or go out while on top was well due

eagles9999, May 16, 3:52am
Absolutely agree!

timmo1, May 16, 3:58am
+1
I prefer Chris Harris for real motoring journalism. he actually tells a petrol head what they want to know about a car rather than a dumbed down lowest common denonimator/ratings approach.

tamarillo, May 16, 3:59am
Don't agree. Best show out and a big fan of Clarkson and co. This story is just a rumour so far so won't hold my breath, but maybe.

lespat, May 16, 5:14am
+1
TG is light hearted entertainment, nothing more, nothing less

marmar1, May 16, 6:03am
+2
If on netflix ,will get it.

3tomany, May 16, 6:16am
TG is entertainment not a real motoring show and that is how I like it

socram, May 16, 6:20am
Agree with above. Best comedy show on TV at times. The cars were a bonus. Wife also loved the show (and JC's books) and she is no petrol-head.

reb53, May 16, 6:25am

socram, May 17, 9:48pm
I read a lot - and I do mean a lot. I love my car books and I also collect books with a humorous slant, anything from the Marx brothers through the Goons to Giles cartoon books.

Clarkson, for my money, is one of the best comedy writers of all time and that is a very rare talent when writing non-fiction.

fordcrzy, May 18, 5:36am
Chris Harris is a plonker. the only decent bit he's done is the lancia/pirelli test day.

butterfly05, May 18, 6:34am
What a load of crap. Have you not watched the goodwood series he did in the porsche and the rover? He does the best high end reviews of cars end of story. He's a bit toffy but his wifes a doctor so thats just how he is.

Matt Farrah (the smoking tire) (not drive) is the next best just doing any old thing. And then Larry with anything he does for drive or ammo nyc.

mike1345, May 18, 8:45pm
The BBC would be mad to think they could continue Top Gear without Clarkson, May and Hammond. They may as well just finish it.

It'd be like firing Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbet from the Two Ronnies and then trying to replace them with someone else.

marmar1, May 19, 6:15am
Looked up Chris Harris and not impressed,would not bother watching if he was hosting a show.

tamarillo, May 19, 8:58am
Agreed. I'm an avid reader and fussy about the writing. He is a genuine talent pretending to be an idiot on TV. And unfortunately sometimes off it as he is human and makes mistakes.
I'm guessing new show will be different format, maybe he had already been dreaming up some new ideas and now is the time.
In meantime BBC have to try and make Top Gear work after they paid a fortune to get the rights, be I tersting to see how they handle it.

clark20, May 19, 11:01am
Who needs the Stig when you can have Ken Block?

Wouldn't that be cool?

socram, Jan 23, 6:05am
Good though Block is, has he driven a F1 car? The earlier Stigs had F1 and single seater experience. What is he like as a coach/teacher? One of the genuine real strengths of the programme was the high number of celebs who claimed that the Stig(s) was a fantastic teacher.

Isn't Block busy enough driving rally cars?

I notice that Ben Collins (Stig2) has a book in Whitcoulls about driving. At $35 I thought I'd wait until we got to the UK - where books and magazines aren't the rip off they are here.