Oil and filter change $39 - WOF $20

Page 1 / 2
tgray, Sep 21, 6:31am
Wheel alignments $30, Engine swap $300
(Sign on a business in Onehunga Auckland today).
My question - How the heck do they make any money?

lusty9, Sep 21, 6:32am
go in and ask them.

reb53, Sep 21, 6:40am
Like the oldest profession in the World, it'll be the "extras" .

jmma, Sep 21, 6:40am
How do you make money on your Washing machines? (o:

robotnik, Sep 21, 6:42am
Do you have a name and address for that place? I know someone who needs an engine swap in that area.

tony9, Sep 21, 6:59am
Is that the guy that was offering Re-Vins, LVV Certs etc. on facebook?

phillip.weston, Sep 21, 7:59am
My bet is the $30 oil change is the absolute cheap bottom of the barrel stuff with cheap oil filters. Probably not applicable to any modern vehicle either.

bumfacingdown, Sep 21, 8:11am
Sign sounds like something from the 80s, are you sure it not an old sign uncovered?

ml6989, Sep 21, 10:29am
General rule of thumb, you get what you pay for.

socram, Sep 22, 6:41am
WoF at $20. H'mmm. Might be worth it for a modern!

Mind you. VTNZ seem to be taking forever to test these days, so how long should a WoF take - realistically?

ladatrouble, Sep 22, 7:45am
Missing word is ''from'' - probably hidden or in very small print. We have someone in town with a big sign saying ''Cambelt change $199! '' Oh yeah, from.

fordcrzy, Sep 22, 8:01am
stopped going to VTNZ for wofs. they take FOREVER to test a car. its not even that they are being thorough. they are just sloooooow.

rotormotor7, Sep 22, 8:23am
retired or useless failed mechanics

tgray, Sep 22, 8:38am
Without the water pump and tensioners, it can be done for less than that on many cars.

ladatrouble, Sep 22, 9:29am
Oh yes, easy peasy - will they be leaving out the CGA too?

franc123, Sep 22, 10:02am
And dealers wonder why the public don't trust them lol. Rule #1 always ask for an itemised receipt if you get told the cambelt has been done.

marte, Sep 22, 11:55am
I paid about $800 all up, they gave me a discount on parts (actually did, I had checked parts price first) inc all parts, seals, oil, filter, coolent, time, bearings, belt, hydro follower, etc etc.
Im going there from now on. south Elles rd, Ingill

bashfulbro, Sep 22, 8:20pm
Fail on this, fail on that, but we we fix these things for $$$$$

mainlander05, Sep 22, 11:38pm
Gray is right.cambellt by itself on some cars is easy,and cheap,add in the extras and that's reflected in price.
Can't be good oil for $39 all up.

321mat, Sep 22, 11:43pm
And then they go bang.

melonhead1, Sep 22, 11:48pm
The oil will be used oil filtered through a kitchen sieve.
The filter will be a used one that had compressed air blown though it backwards.

321mat, Sep 22, 11:50pm
Even *ahem* bad oil dearer than $39.

321mat, Sep 22, 11:51pm
If you add in the labour cost of say, $15 (for a 10 minute job), the cost of oil and filter - at $24 - gives me an image that would cause nightmares.

tgray, Sep 23, 1:05am
Depends what car and whether it's a 'non interference' engine or not.

elect70, Sep 23, 2:53am
Oldest trick in the book , once theyve got you in the shop the hard part is done , now they will say 'from XX$ " but yours will cost more & he will convince you its still a good price .