Kaz, advice please on red Spacio 1.8

wron, Oct 22, 4:26am
Hi there, what to do as you know the car - which is properly maintained by a mechanic behind a petrol station not too far from Corban Ave?
Today my wife turned the key, engine started instantly, as always, but the motor died when she put it in reverse to back out of the garage.
She tried several times, same thing happened each time, then rang the AA. He kept it running for a while, then backed it out, opened bonnet and sat inside monitoring the warning lights till it reached operating temperature, behaved normally - my wife hadn't noticed the engine warning light was on when she was trying - the one on the left that looks like an engine block.
He connected his diagnostic computer machine, but said it needed a Toyota one to find out any problem, his wasn't suitable.
Wife the went out on a half hour motorway trip (x2) and car behaved completely normally, no warning lights.
Would you suggest a visit to the Henderson Valley mechanic (who does the servicing or go to the Toyota garage in Lincoln Rd?
Thanks.

kazbanz, Oct 22, 4:55am
wron. Go to HVA Im betting the throttle body needs a huck out.
Easy fix.

wron, Oct 22, 5:28am
Thanks for that, it's a super wee car!

wron, Oct 28, 4:47am
Wife took car in this morning, showed code 0505 idle speed malfunction, 0.17 hours of labour plus the scan fee of $40 + GST.
So cleaned out and our mechanic said this works in 70% of cases but if the engine code shows again will require throttle body replacement, around $300.
Anyway Kaz, you were spot on! Many thanks.

ash4561, Oct 28, 11:37am
when it comes to spacio's your better with silver than a red one.

kazbanz, Oct 28, 8:08pm
Good news wron. Im happy you are happy with the beastie.
If it was me I'd probably go back in there with a can of throttle body cleaner and a toothbrush to give it another scrub up. Unless its already lovely shiney smooth silvery colored metal in there.
It will fire up and pump black crud for a few seconds but it definitely runs better afterwards.

wron, Oct 29, 5:58am
Actually ash, it's my disabled wife's car and the high seat suits her perfectly, really easy for her to get in and out, and with the 1.8 motor is plenty peppy enough for her and zooms up the Waitakere hills very nicely! We're grey haired but the Spacio never holds up traffic on the open road, might not be a rocket ship but plenty of power for her!

wron, Oct 29, 6:05am
kaz, the warning light showed up again this morning for a hospital visit, stayed on for trip but didn't reappear on journey back home, about a half hour run each way. Rang Terry, we'll monitor it and if necessary replace the unit. He isn't sure if it's a common problem with Corollas, obviously not something he's seen often though - and said it wouldn't be worth fitting a second hand unit if it was. He hasn't investigated pricing yet. Will pass on your toothbrush comments.

kazbanz, Oct 29, 7:26pm
wron-the "carboning up" dude to months of being just started and stopped is common. But needing a throttle body ISN'T.I bet the code this time is AFM. Id be talking to the seller and see what they are prepared to do to help you

wron, Oct 30, 4:38am
Actually Kaz, the seller was a really professional outfit in a road that runs between Henderson Valley Rd and Bruce Mac Rd!

marmar1, Oct 30, 4:45am
Have checked out that place and thought they were overpriced.

kazbanz, Dec 15, 9:33am
That's because you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear no matter how hard you try.--Im sure they prefer to buy silk purses.