Windscreen leak?

rosehonda, Aug 8, 9:14pm
My front windscreen had a leak and has since been removed and resealed. It still leaks but not as much. 'Apparently' there was no rust seen when it was removed. Why would it still be leaking? Should I buy a new rubber seal for it?

morrisman1, Aug 8, 9:20pm
what sort of car is it? Modern cars use urethane in a tube, older cars use a rubber sealing strip.

rosehonda, Aug 8, 9:37pm
bmw e30, rubber gasket

kazbanz, Aug 8, 9:40pm
If you are certain that the leak IS from around the front screen then there is only one possible reason it would leak.it hasn't been sealed up properly.
Either because there is a corrosion issue or because it wasn't sealed properly last time. Id talk to the person that resealed it and get their opinion as to best solution.
I would be sure it is the screen first though not a leak from somewhere else

rosehonda, Aug 8, 10:49pm
I am sure it is the screen because I see it dripping out of the seal from the right hand side pillar. It drips down the side of the dash to by the pedals. Basically wondering if it is worth ordering a new seal or not, how likely is the seal itself to be the issue

lookoutas, Aug 8, 11:19pm
Older cars with rubber fitted windows, always had sealer around them.
Modern rubbers are of better design, and don't require sealer.
For modern rubbers that are now old, it's a good idea to apply some sealer when refitting them.

grangies, Aug 8, 11:24pm
It could be the chrome (or sometimes black) insert has perished and become weak. It's the centre strip on the exterior of the gasket, that is pushed in to tighten the fitting of the window. If that is not strong enough in the corner where you have mentioned, the gasket will not seal correctly.

lookoutas, Aug 8, 11:41pm
That's why OP needs to refer back to the last sentence of my post.

grangies, Aug 8, 11:57pm
On an old Beemer like that if it was mine, she'd be betting the sealer treatment from the outside, while the window is still in hahahhaha .

rosehonda, Aug 9, 12:50am
That method is for bombs

intrade, Aug 9, 1:54am
rubber gasket fix rust and then new rubber or you need that gunge to seal rubbers . i had a problem years ago on my gti mk1 golf the leakage was fixed with a new rubber softer and clamps better on to the frame , so if you cant get new rubber you need the gunge who stays soft.
rust must be fixed in any case so you can rule out that to be the problem.

lookoutas, Aug 9, 2:10am
You can't say that about a Euro!

Can Ya?

Ooops - now I see you are the OP, and were offended!
No worries at this end tho. If sealer was applied (as it seems it was) Then there wasn't enough applied, and you should take it back.

grangies, Aug 9, 5:47am
Come on now. It you apply it cleanly and wipe away the excess, you'll hardly even notice it. LOL.

But yeah. Seriously now. As mentioned by lookoutas and intrade, it sounds like it needs more mastic sealant around the outside lip of the window frame.

Or if your not bothered more mastic smeared around the outside hahahahha

lookoutas, Aug 11, 7:21am
If you keep the nozzle small, you should be able to push it in between the rubber and body/glass, and squirt some in whilst moving along.
Of course some will ooze out, but that's what you want (if you've done it properly) Then just clean off the excess.

rosehonda, Oct 20, 5:35pm
Windscreen has to come out again anyway. I just want to make sure it doesn't leak afterwards