2001 bmw 530i e39

Page 1 / 2
rctr, Apr 30, 6:12am
Have been asked to look at 1 for a family member. Mechanically I'm happy to do this but am not familiar with electrics etc. Is there anything I should be aware of. As far as I can gather it is a nz new model will confirm this tomorrow.

budgel, Apr 30, 8:12am
Check that every single electrical feature works, there are plenty to check. They can be complex buggers to sort out electrical problems on.
A full service history is a big plus.

poppy62, Apr 30, 8:13am
All the electrics are by Bosch, so the quality is there. Just check electric window, central lock, air cond/heater operations. I always strip door panels off (purchased) cars and liberally CRC/grease and fisholene everything.

rctr, Apr 30, 8:28am
Yes can see there are a lot of electrics my biggest concern was with control modules specially abs. Another thing is from what I can gather it appears to have been a rotorua car for its life

rbd, Apr 30, 9:02am
Lots of E39 buying guides out there. Good cars, if not great cars. The 530i is the best of the breed. If Jap import check for NZ radio stations as the cutoff was some time in 2001 for you to be able to change frequency range just by holding down buttons. Suspension bushings often need doing at front. Sold my 528i at 260000 odd kms as the shocks started to leak and seat was past it (worn leather and popped spring).

Check rear sun blind as the sliders are plastic that are not toddler proof (as I found). Interior is tough, far better than later 5 series.

Check the cupholders front and rear, they are flimsy rubbish and not overly cheap.

Main issue with the engine is the vanos which sometimes needs the o-rings replaced (google beisan). Not a huge job and a good chance to fix the leaky camshaft cover seals. The radiator and hoses are a problem area as is the oil breather system. All these plastic/rubber parts cause trouble due to German laws on percentage of recycled plastic which limits durability. Same goes for plastic undertrays, which given the age may be pretty brittle by now.

monsieurl, Apr 30, 9:15am
Being a NZ new it should have a reasonable service history, if not use carjam to track down the Dealership that would have serviced it and ask them for info, also being NZ new it should not have the electrical problems that the Jap and Singapore imports tend to, if there are it's usually down to the FSU unit needing replaced which isn't a huge job, Auto box should have had a fluid change, Cooling system, Vanos are all things that should have been done if it's over 150ks, if it's a wagon you have the air bag suspension which can be a big job but really a PPI should be done if you are not confident in what you are doing or looking for.

monsieurl, Apr 30, 9:17am
Better than the 540i?! Many, many enthusiast's would strongly disagree with you!

rctr, Apr 30, 9:21am
my only concern is the electrics have seen issues on imported models and not sure on kiwi model electrics

monsieurl, Apr 30, 9:25am
Imported models we get typically come from Singapore where the high humidity is known to get into the sensitive electrical areas and can cause issues later, NZ models don't tend to have the same problems, you should join or go search and read about imported e39 issues over at Bimmersport . co . nz.

rctr, Apr 30, 9:33am
I'm guessing my issues are going to be sulphur related depending on what part of the city the car has spent it's time

vtecnet, Apr 30, 9:44am
I have owned 3x E39's, my current 2002 530i has required the following work.

Valve Cover (Not just the gasket, the actual cover was warped, so oil would drip onto the exhaust sending a burning smell into the cabin).
Oil filter housing gasket was leaking. (replaced myself).
Vanos Seals, (did these myself).
Oil Separator Valve and all related plastic pipes, were broken and leaking oil and causing vac leaks.
Cooling system (Thermostat (Built into plastic housing), Expansion Tank, Radiator Hoses) all these should be replaced straight away, as they last about 10 years on average.

Sump gasket is currently leaking, 9-10 Hours work to fix.
Despite all this, my car is in really tidy condition and has done 152,000k.

Often this model burns oil, ie 1L per 5000k or so, mine seems ok, but google it. engine code is M54B40.

Good car if you have the money to spend on keeping it upto standard (ie at least 100k PA income). otherwise buy a normal model car (Or have a friend to help with it / DIY skills.).

I Never had any electrical issues with any of the BMW's I've owned, which is made up of 3x E30, 1x E36, 3 xE39, its a bit of a Myth, most were Jap import or South African Import.

Best to take an OBD2 scanner and check the car for Error Codes, it can give you an idea of how well the cars been looked after, your likely to see a few show up.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 30, 10:27am
I know what you mean having bought many piano's from Rotorua in past (many would quite literally have green strings). Personally, I would just pop some of the connectors open and see what the terminals look like inside.

If the ones in exposed places are holding up well, then the others should be pretty good too. Most control modules on that sort of stuff are pretty well sealed, so if the connectors all look really good the modules are likely in pretty good shape too.

Best of luck with it.

hawat, Apr 30, 10:31am
+1, but then I haven't owned a 530i

monsieurl, Apr 30, 10:38am
On point apart from the engine code! B30

tamarillo, Apr 30, 6:05pm
Well my brother in law runs a BMW workshop in UK. Handles the cars once out of warranty. Good sized shop. Favourite is the e39 530. Swears by them as having sound electronics before they got hopelessly complicated.

ryanm2, Apr 30, 6:42pm
So you recommend those only earning over 100k should own a 5k car in order to keep in going? Good grief.

vtecnet, Apr 30, 8:41pm
Well only if you can't fix it yourself, i know people that have spent 8-10k a year to keep cars like this going :)

vtecnet, Apr 30, 8:42pm
Yeah, typo, i blame fat fingers and cellphone touch screen :)

rctr, May 1, 12:55am
They constantly rebuilding the engine Or something
. I know I asked about them but that cost out values the car

monsieurl, May 2, 10:40am
If the service history has not been great then you can spend a good 3-4 thousand straight out the gate, getting it up to standard. Even with a good service history I put a couple of thousand doing everything so I was happy (Cooling hoses, waterpump, Transmission fluid and filter, Vanos, drilled rotors and pads, cam and o2 sensors) but can guarantee i'm not going to have any trouble for quite some time.

rbd, May 3, 10:34am
Many enthusiasts that know the 540i lacks the direct rack and pinion steering of the 530i would agree with me though.

monsieurl, May 4, 3:14am
Lol who are these enthusiasts? You would struggle to find one on Bimmer Forum/Fest/Sport that would agree!

kdcentralni, May 4, 4:09am
The 6 cylinder is a better vehicle to steer. Quite well known fact

monsieurl, May 4, 8:39pm
lol to steer. because 5 series owners are looking for steering over power, torque etc etc

craigs_workshop, May 5, 4:51am
have seen the exhaust on the 540 - they would go significantly better with extractors

if the inline 6 is similarly gunged up, then i would see the six & being able to equal the standard eight after a pipe change