Lower road toll, stop self drive tourists

Page 4 / 6
bill-robinson, Dec 5, 7:21am
the indian tourist and the chinese tourist must be back for a second trip. that was broadcast about a year ago. try to keep up.

martin11, Dec 5, 7:41am
Facts from NZTA in 2106 328 people killed on NZ roads only 14 were tourists 0.042 % rest were Nz drivers 99.85 % of fatal accidents were NZealanders

flack88, Dec 5, 8:40am
Go to Airport services CHCH about the end of March,looks like demo derby collection,how a rental company gets any insurance is amazing,i know a person that worked there,every excuse and lie blatantly,bad Engrish eh?!

goose16, Dec 5, 9:14am
Or not very well travelled.

philltauranga, Dec 5, 9:15am
Finally. Clive has a well thought out and workable idea, being a media front man, lets hope someone listens to him this time.
Bit better than a T plate in the window, aye. TARGET?
May aswell paint a red dot on the back of their cars.

rsr72, Dec 5, 9:21am
Why no very, very, large left-curving arrows from in the right lane over into the left lane painted all over NZ's roads as they long have had all over roads in the UK?

And bring back the numerous 'Keep Left' signs that we used to have many years ago and literally all over the country's roads, and which were mostly removed in another mindless government move to save a few dollars, the prats.

martin11, Dec 5, 12:57pm
There are many arrows painted on the main roads and I have seen a lot of keep left signs also

nice_lady, Dec 5, 1:05pm
Some one can't use a calculator nor even appreciate at a glance that 0.042% being equal to 14 is never going to make a total of 328.

Lets to do the sums again 328 / 14 =23.43. 100/23.43 = 4.27

therefore 14 foreign tourists killed in road accidents out of a total of 328 = 4.27%. It still doesn't look big but if you were to break that down by location the sums might start to tell a different story. Not to mention the injury and near miss events.

ema1, Dec 5, 1:20pm
One thing missing from your equation there is the NZders those foreign tourists kill as well. or don't they count?

nice_lady, Dec 5, 1:49pm
Oh very good point also. And the Nz'rs who get injured by them also. There seems to be NO national database with this info ? Why ? Why not ?

nice_lady, Dec 5, 1:51pm
Hubby was first on the scene of one nasty accident some years ago, (summer 1998 just south of Makarora), down south. It was tourists killed a couple of Nz'ers. He says the tourists were filming and wandered onto the wrong side of the road.

martin11, Dec 5, 2:29pm
Fair cop my mistake ,thanks for picking it up .

woody1946, Dec 5, 2:37pm

nice_lady, Dec 5, 2:46pm
"The guy in the ute was holding the keys in his hand and said he wasn't giving them back."

Good on him !
Wow and yet they won't be banned from driving - not untill they kill someone. Bloody senseless system !

You've got to wonder at the driver. How could they possibly in ANY way shape or form feel that they were driving safely and sensibly ? Crossing the centre line, erratic speeds etc etc ? Doh !

bjmh, Dec 5, 3:16pm
We hired a car in Dunedin ,dropped it back to rental outfit in Christchurch. while waiting for the shuttle to the airport,we heard a rental employee doing her best to explain N.Z road rules etc to a male Asian driver.Then she went for a drive in the car,with the man driving. they come back and she puts the dashcam footage on her computer for the man to see.We heard her say,thats you. driving on the wrong side of the road all the way around the block.Then she refused to rent them a car.

socram, Dec 5, 5:19pm
Probably because it isn't PC to record it? Same reason as we don't know what percentage are Australian, Samoan or Outer Mongolian in various statistics.

Interesting that a car hire company took the trouble to check out a potential hirer and refused. Care to divulge the company as it may not be company policy but could be an employee showing some initiative and may have saved lives as a result?

philltauranga, Dec 5, 7:04pm
New Luxury tourist train by 2019. Auckland - Queenstown.
Excellent, now they are thinking, with viabale alternatives.
Hopefully with tourist investment in rail we will get more double track, that will make freight movements easier too.
Reinstate a few of the the lines.
Hmmmm. maybe. Rotorua, and a few other places.

NZ Herald link:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11953630

bill-robinson, Dec 6, 6:44am
we should keep running old crash video's and add them to your statistics if it makes you feel safe

supernova2, Dec 6, 1:03pm
I know its the St Island but why did it take the Police 2 hours to react to calls about a car on the wrong side of the road?

Even worse they simply let the other person in the car drive off. Did it not occur to the police that both persons in the car had no idea about NZ roads as obviously the 2nd person should have done something about the 1st person driving for 2 hours on the wrong side!

IMHO they both proved they were unfit to drive in NZ.

flack88, Dec 6, 1:20pm
Yes they should had keys taken and rental company dispatched to uplift van.unbelievable that someone wasn't taken out by them,are they that thick that maybe alarm bells were ringing that that were meeting opposing traffic all the time?hello!

peja, Dec 6, 3:11pm
That is very impressive. She probably saved a life that day - maybe multiple lives. It is people like this that should get medals, but they go unrecognised

reneik17, Dec 6, 5:44pm
cagivagirl is totally right, theres some pig ignorant s##t stirrers on here trying to troll with their cooked stats and heads in the sand denial- try driving round central otago /tourist trail right now, your outlook on tourist drivers will change pretty damn quick after they try to kill your family,repeatedly.
Oh yeah,how do we know they're tourists?- we're not allowed to say on here,are we,but locally born Indians,chinese are not likely to be driving on the right,stright down the centerline,weaving all over the road,including the verges and back again,stopping in the middle of a highway without pulling over. the rental companies have a lot to answer for,greed ,greed,greed.

socram, Dec 6, 9:12pm
What no-one has mentioned so far is that NZ rarely seems to have any worthwhile signs in anything other than English and occasionally Maori.

Wouldn't it make sense to have few signs - especially in tourist areas - in other languages? (Not all on the same board!)

Colour the signs throughout the country - Purple for Korean, Yellow or Red for Japanese or Chinese, Orange for Dutch - though most Dutch speak English, etc. I'm sure you get the drift. Tourists could at least then spot the signs more easily from a distance.

I wonder every day when I pass the sign "Merge like a zip" just how many non-English speaking (local) drivers have a clue what it means and judging by them crawling down onto the motorway at 60kph, very few. Mind you, a fair few Kiwis seem to struggle with the concept.

NZ is a tourist destination but in many areas, I don't think we do a very good job. I wouldn't drive in Dubai or Russia even if I had the opportunity as few road signs are in a script I could understand.

I drove OK in Holland and Belgium 40 years ago for work as it didn't take long to learn the basics of road signs even with a smattering of the language, as the script is at least decipherable. Schoolboy French was OK anyway, but Dutch wasn't too difficult after a bit of pre-travel swotting.

Maybe rental companies should at least give them a quick test on the basic road signs other than the international ones which they should all know anyway.

The other issue is that fake licences are a huge problem in China, which may also explain a lot.

gammelvind, Dec 6, 9:27pm
Sadly I have a feeling this ultimately is the crux of the issue, evidenced by the mind numbingly abysmal driving by so many from that country.

bill-robinson, Dec 7, 6:41am
which mimics our NZ driving standards quite well