Best 4wd Ute

Page 1 / 3
cymatical1, Aug 6, 11:26am
Anyone own a late model Ranger Wildtak, Hilux SR5, Nissan Navarra or Colorado that wants to share their experiences good or bad?

m16d, Aug 6, 11:29am

budgel, Aug 6, 11:52am
The Rangers are the most popular, but there seems to be a price premium for that.

survivalkiwi, Aug 6, 3:13pm
This is what i have learnt about utes from this motoring message board.
Do not buy a Greatwall as it will be broken before you pick it up.
Do not buy a Mitsubishi as it will break down on the way home.
Do not buy a Colorado as it will drop its oil and you will wish you had bought a Ranger.
Do not buy a Ranger as it will blow its engine apart and you wish you had bought a Colorado.
Do not buy a Hilux as it will make you look like a Barry Crump wannabe.
Do not buy a Mazda as its a Ranger anyway.
Do not buy an Isuzu as its a Colorado.
Do not buy a Mercedes as its a Nissan and you will look like a tosser driving it.
Do not buy a Nissan as they will blow the transmisiion at 400k if you have used it for towing. And they have a Renault engine that will blow up at 450k
Do not buy a VW as it will not tow an 8 ton fith wheeler should you decide to buy one.
The only ute you should buy is a brand new 1976 HQ holden with a 253 v8 and 3 speed manual box.

john1623, Aug 6, 3:17pm
A true statement.

survivalkiwi, Aug 6, 3:21pm
I drive a 3 year old navara np300 stx. I have done 60k in at and I tow a lot. I cant really fault it. My son drives a 2017 Colorado and he loves it. My mate drives a Ranger and he loves that.
I know dozens of people who drive late model utes of all makes and models and have only heard of minor problems with any of them.
The best thing to do it go and look at the ones you like and make your own decision on the one you like and the sevice and deal you get from the dealership.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 6, 4:48pm
I don't have one, but don't forget to drive the V6 TDI Amarok, especially nice in auto if you are going that way.

budgel, Aug 6, 5:16pm
My Stepson bought a brand new Hilux last year. He is very happy with it, particularly in terms of value for money. A Ranger would have cost around 10K more.

franc123, Aug 6, 8:28pm
+1. We'll its not totally accurate, a Renault engine is never going to get to 450k although it may well out last a VW unit. And HQ was out of production by 1976, HJ was the current model by then.

m16d, Aug 6, 8:57pm
And all new diesels are running DPF's.

smallwoods, Aug 6, 10:00pm
Hmm, can't understand this.
With farmlands discount the Ranger was only a couple of grand over the Hilux, and that is the Farmlands partner ship deal.
Ford have carried on giving to Farmlanders even though the partnership went south.
New XLT with deck inner , tow pack and canopy = $46500 on road with 5000k RUCs.

mrcat1, Aug 6, 10:00pm
They are still only toys.

mrcat1, Aug 6, 10:02pm
Just wait for all the whining when the new Ranger comes out with a twin spinner 2 liter in it.

mrcat1, Aug 6, 10:03pm
I had a HQ station wagon fitted with a 250Cui Chev truck engine and 5 speed cast Celica box behind it, now that was a weapon.

rop, Aug 6, 10:04pm
Land rovers are good.

mojo49, Aug 7, 7:27am
Ute? What model? excluding Series?

tsjcf, Aug 7, 4:28pm
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/10/ram-ranks-last-in-consumer-reports-reliability-survey.html
Hope its got a good Warranty.
Better Stay on topic as well.
14 ranger personal use
17 ranger work use
All good

s_nz, Aug 7, 6:30pm
If you want best 4x4 capability, the following are the best in the market.

Medicares G-professional
Ivenco Daily 4x4
Toyota Landcruiser 70.

If you want something more comfortable on road, then the ford ranger is the most popular option. Big turning circle though.

Amarok has the best on road dynamic's, and the V6 is the most powerful engine in its class.

mrcat1, Aug 8, 1:54pm
That old chestnut, yet they sold 500,723 Rams in the states last year and have sold 273,815 so far this year.

mrcat1, Aug 8, 1:56pm
You do realise what Rams do to sheep?
Be interesting if your sheep shagger will do a million miles as well in its life.

mrcat1, Aug 9, 8:50am
Why wouldn't it if its serviced properly?
I plan to replace it in 10-12 years so would have about 550-600,000 kms on it at that time.

cymatical1, Aug 9, 10:06am
Hey thanks everyone. Lots of good info. I text drove all of them and the Ranger felt the best, Colorado second. value for money though I really wanted to love the HiLux, but the ride was so rough and the cab quite cramped. Will make a decision today. Thanks again.

mrcat1, Aug 9, 10:13am
Your best to buy this model Ranger, the new facelift model only is supposed to have a twin spinner 2 litre diesel in it.

s_nz, Aug 9, 10:58am
I think the 2L twin turbo diesel is just for the high performance raptor model. (It is set up for performance, so things like payload, and tow rating suffer compared to the normal model).

mrcat1, Aug 9, 12:57pm
Looking at Ford site there is a 2.0, 2.2 and 3.2 versions, assumption is all mated to a 10 speed box.
https://www.ford.co.nz/about-ford/newsroom/2018/new-vehicle-brings-speed-and-advanced-new-features/