Clutch noise

zhl, Aug 20, 12:01am
Hi everyone, just brought a 96 toyota toyoace, everything seems fine but have noise every time when I use the clutch, the truck drives fine and gear changing is good. Do I need pay attention to the noise or just the truck is too old I have to live with it. Any suggestion would be good. thanks

catwoman1974, Aug 20, 12:47am
Thrust bearing

sr2, Aug 20, 8:58am
And/or spigot bearing.

intrade, Aug 20, 9:08am
remove trans and replace bearings. the spiggot might nt come out easy but if its only doing it when you press the clutch then it has to be the thruster bearing as the spigot bearing rotates when its in gear.
So you would warm it up hope cambelt is done .
Then use 3th gear apply the brakes with right foot use left for clutch and get a stick to press the accelerator. You then revit let the clutch out and floor it to see if it stalls out.
if it dont stalls you need a whole new clutch anyhow as it just slipped.
If you need somone else to do it then replave it all and make sure the crank seal behind the clutch also gets done correctly.

intrade, Aug 20, 9:13am
if it stalls out then clutch is fine for now and you could skip all that work and just do a new thruster bearing. . if its rwd only then the hardest part will be the cardan universal joint bolts . rest of a job is just a few h provided you have a jack . id say it could be done just with a jack

intrade, Aug 20, 9:20am
if it was my van id do the test and just do the bearing if clutch is fine and skip the rest as its easy enough to drop the box . unlike front wheel drive where its massive work to take a box down. With axles shaft subframes and there likes to remove .
if you pay somone then unless its a moron cowboy who you dont want near the thing to start with anyhow.
Then it dont makes economical sense to not do it all including imput seal on transmission.
So 1 crank seal 1. gearbox seal
1 pressure plate 1 clutch disk 1 thruster bearing , 1 spiggot bearing
checking replace clutch fluid and brake fluid as its the same reservoire 1.5 liter dot4
check output seal cardan end gearbox replace if suspect.
Thats sortof what a worktable of a professional mechanic shop looks like.
few more things inspection flywheel torque bolts back up with fresh screw locktite if it had any on bolts as i dont think they supply new bolts like they do on modern cars.

jmma, Aug 20, 1:27pm
Nope, flywheel and input shaft locked together when in gear, so spigot bearing not working hhmmm

intrade, Aug 20, 5:24pm
ah yea your right but i doubt you hear a foobard spigot inside the crank. i made a special tool fr my slidehammer to remove them 1/4 of bolt head as a hook.

jmma, Aug 20, 5:42pm
We used to pack it with grease and use an old input shaft to whack in and hydrolic it out :o)

zhl, Aug 21, 8:48pm
Thanks everyone above for the advice, seems I need book a mechanic for the job, any idea how much this job will be cost?

supernova2, Aug 21, 9:01pm
$800

intrade, Oct 18, 3:03pm
#12 yes its not a hard job and clutch kits used to be 200 to 250 totaling 650-700$ so with inflation and higher prices 800 is what it would cost. as the flywheel is definetly a solid one so should not be over a grand if all and everything i mentioned needs doing.