LOL, & ppl think an 18sp truck gearbox is hard

mrfxit, Jul 10, 2:55pm

tweake, Jul 10, 4:46pm
theres a few video's around of triple stick gearboxes. that must be a nitemare to remember what gear your in not to mention shift all three sticks at once.

snork28, Jul 10, 4:50pm
it does get easier with time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lEYaTvvq4g

mrfxit, Jul 10, 6:32pm
Whats with the super tall gear shift sticks, some of those are near shoulder height.

tweake, Jul 10, 6:45pm
i think that vid is wanksville.
that truck looks to new for 3 real gearstick. theres a comment that its one gearbox and two air valves with some long sticks for bling.

theres another one around with some really old truck that has 3 actual gearboxes.

2sheddies, Jul 10, 6:56pm
Seems to be mostly the domain of the poser American owner driver. I do wish they could realise how utterly idiotic it looks, and how laughable they look stirring their ten speed down the interstate wth an ape hanger.

cheviot, Jul 10, 10:08pm
The you-tube vid is a road ranger with the air switches replaced by levers. The range change and overdrive is usually done with your fingers and thumb.
Google 18 speed gear knob and you see the buttons he's replaced with the levers.

mrcat1, Jul 10, 10:30pm
Its only a twin stick box, quite common 30-40 years ago.

mrcat1, Jul 10, 10:32pm
They are all bullsh!t, they are a standard R/R box and the guy has long sticks that operate the air powered range change valves, all for the w@%k factor.

mrcat1, Jul 10, 10:36pm
This is the noddy video which is just a 15/18 speed with long levers operating the air valves, one lever is the range change air valve, one lever is the actual gear change lever and the third is the splitter air valve lever.

3tomany, Jul 11, 1:48am
You got it. looks complicated but is in fact very simple.

eleni01, Jul 12, 12:33am
And considering most gear in the states are 13spd with no split on the low box, plus the fact their weights are bugger all with 550-600hp doesn't make this as impressive as first thought. The split would nearly be redundant.
Now if it was three sticks in nz at max weight over the Napier Taupo etc that would prob be something worth talking about.

mrfxit, Jul 12, 8:24am
LOL yea thats pretty obvious that it's just bling crap.

tweake, Jul 12, 8:59am
i have seen one vid of proper 3 gearstick and i'm talking vintage truck not modern air valves with wank sticks.

elect70, Jul 12, 2:34pm
We had an old exWW2 GMC 6x6 it had 3sticks h hi low ratio 4or 6 wd & 3 speed box .Driving it was an art form & took plenty of muscle or the steering would rip your arm off in 6 wd .We used it for going up orogna ronga river valley to our hutt in 70s . a real beast

mrcat1, Nov 27, 1:01am
Some of the heavy haul units used to have a second box, and that was what the 3rd stick was for.