HID/Xenon bad bulb or ballast?

dbest, Oct 9, 6:33pm
Hi All,

I got a problem with one of my headlights. Its factory HID/Xenon. It turns on fine but after a while it will flicker a few times then shut off. Its a pain in the bum to remove the headlamp to access the bulb/ballast so would like to know if anyone has come across this symptom that could help me narrow it down to either the bulb or ballast.

Cheers.

fordcrzy, Oct 9, 6:40pm
only use phillips or osram bulbs if you do change one

bigfatmat1, Oct 9, 10:16pm
Its a symptom that could be either. Swap bulb left to right see if problem shifts

tmenz, Oct 9, 10:18pm
My guess would be the lamp. Swap the L/H and R/H lamps over, but don't swap the ballasts and see if the problem swaps or stays put!

kevin.b, Oct 10, 10:39pm
What sort of vehicle is it for? I've got Osram HID bulbs, and balasts(even entire headlights) available for DY model Demio's.

But as mentioned above, try swapping over the bulbs first. Does the headlight come back on if you flick them off then on again, or do you need to leave it off for a while to 'cool down'?

dbest, Oct 11, 8:54am
Toyota Blade. Headlight does not come on if I flick them on and off within short span of time. It will only come back on if turned off for quite a while (few hours)

spottie, Dec 25, 5:47am
Hid's are sensitive to low voltage, might want to check all connections, they flicker badly with poor earths and go out as you describe if the voltage drops usually around 10 volts