24y male - first car - subaru - outdoors

ruby2shoes, Jul 17, 1:37pm
Hey. I'm a 24 year old male - so turbo is out of the question due to insurance. I'm looking for something outdoors, I want to learn snow boarding and go camping in summer.
I am not sure if I should be getting a Subaru due to insurance costs. but i've always wanted one. Post 2004 model stationwagon or outback; 3.0L because chain and not cambelt. What should I look out for? An advice?

msigg, Jul 17, 1:42pm
Get what you want. U Only have one life. Look for the best body condition go for test drive then get a car inspection done from one of the services offered or your local mechanic if u have one. Low km I would be looking for in your case.

sw20, Jul 17, 1:49pm
Forester with the hi lo. Pref NZ New and manual. Service records if available. Get a pre purchase inspection by your trusted mechanic or an independent workshop.

tamarillo, Jul 17, 4:15pm
At 24 I'd be wanting something I can sleep in. I don't like forward control vans as they're crash idiots but maybe a Toyota previa/estima in 4wd or Volvo wagon xc70 is 4wd known for snow ability and unless you're huge can be slept in. If that's of interest say so and I'll fill you in.
Outbacks are good too but smaller and gas hungry.

s_nz, Jul 17, 11:38pm
I don't know your financial position, but consider something with lower running costs than an older 6 cylinder Subaru. These cars will be relatively thirsty, and Subaru maintenance costs are known to be relatively high (boxer engine means spark plugs etc hard to access, AWD means more moving parts).

a 2005 3.0 outback will run you cira $8k, and a legacy cira $4.5k.

6-8k towards something a Toyota Avensis, Mazda 6 wagon, Honda accord Tourer etc will get you a much more modern car (2008 - 2009). They will still have reasonable power for open road cruising, but with 2wd and 4 cylinder engines, will have much lower running costs.

Regarding going to the snow, you don't need AWD for this. Buy a $200 set of chains. In the north island, you are unlikely to fit them more than a few times a season.

Regarding camping, all the wagons should have reasonable space for your gear.

friendly_prawn, Jul 18, 8:05am
I just bought an outback. I dont find it thirsty to run, but I wish I had of known about maintenance costs before buying. I spoke to a mechanic the other day who said just a new water pump can set me back $1400 due to the difficulty of access. Ouch.

trade4us2, Jul 18, 10:30am
It's too expensive to take my son's Subaru apart to fix the heater, so he intends buying an electric heater instead.

carstauranga001, Jul 18, 11:21am
Change mechanics.

friendly_prawn, Jul 18, 11:26am
agree. I rang my mechanic for clarification as that figure seemed crazy, and they said its complete hogwash. He said to do spark plugs and a waterpump would require only a couple of hours labour. Not sure where the other mechanic was coming from. Makes me feel a whole lot better about owning it now. Just shows, it pays to shop around.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 18, 5:06pm
B6 (thats the model starting 2006) Passat 3.2
That gives you quattro 4WD, no turbo, chain driven. Parts are cheap and easy to get. Spend the extra and get a nice NZ New one with low km. Make sure you service it with the CORRECT full synthetic oil to avoid chain stretch.
Run the correct fuel (98 where available and never GULL) and you will be rewarded with very low fuel consumption
If you don't need 4WD I would go with the 2.0 Diesel, ideally the 125kw version.

ruby2shoes, Jul 18, 6:32pm
thanks - will remind my son to have a read

bazfan, Jul 18, 7:21pm
Friendly Prawn if you’re in Auckland I highly recommend Subtech in Penrose. Great mechanics, always honest and know Subies inside out

friendly_prawn, Jul 18, 8:19pm
Thanks
Appreciate that but the garage I go to is awesome.

clark20, Jul 19, 10:30am
Sounds like he was talking about the cam belt as well, or is it the six with a chain?

dbest, Jul 19, 11:09am
Caldina - The most reliable and practical vehicle I have ever owned. Even at nearing 330 000 kms she was a great car. Affordable to run and maintain. Oh and real easy to work on yourself too!

I can't say how good are the final generation ones but I may be considering one. From what I can tell maybe worth avoiding the direct injected ones.

friendly_prawn, Jul 19, 12:33pm
6 with a chain. I had explained to him it was the 3L too, which is the chain driven model. .

jason_247, Jul 21, 11:50am
$1400 is very reasonable then.
The waterpump is chain driven so requires the whole front of the motor taken off, both timing chain setups removed.
then waterpump can be changed and chains replaced. hydraulic tensioners should then be replaced, the engine retimed and the engine reassembled.

if your other mechanic reckons he can do that in a couple of hours he isnt very experienced.

on the flip side, subaru knew this and made their waterpump to a very high standard with high quality seals. if the oil and coolant is in good order then it should last the life of the vehicle.

the water pump also has an inner coolant seal and outer oil seal. if either fails it leaks coolant or oil into a drain hole on the back of the front cover. so you should get fair warning it is leaking before oil and water start mixing.

friendly_prawn, Jul 21, 9:34pm
Thanks. I really appreciate the advice. Can I ask, where do I find this?
"the water pump also has an inner coolant seal and outer oil seal. if either fails it leaks coolant or oil into a drain hole on the back of the front cover."

sr2, Jul 22, 12:44am
First car at 24 years old?

trade4us2, Jul 22, 12:51pm
My father got his first car at age 48, and my mother got her license at age 51.

sr2, Nov 16, 3:09pm
Wow, how times have changed.

Similar many of the petrol heads on this MB I bought my 1st motorbike at the age of 12 and my 1st car the week before I turned 15. I must say however that the roads were far less frantic and possibly safer than they were 47 years ago!