Overheating subaru wrx

dcm_landscaping, Jan 28, 5:06am
I'm sorry if this is going to sound like a novel but i generally need help without criticism.
My partner is stuck in Hamilton after swapping his car with a WRX (why he did that is another complete novel on it's own).
This WRX had overheating issues in which I'm pretty sure the mechanic did not bleed the coolant properly when flushing the radiator.
A mechanic in Hamilton or somewhere between Auckland and Hamilton helped him bleed the coolant but has put cold water into a hot motor (what idiot would do that and call themselves a mechanic!).
I'm hoping this hasn't created the head to be cracked (please tell me it hasn't).
Is there anyone in the Hamilton area who could help! Or anyone who knows what they are doing!
I am in Wellington so there is no option for me to just go and get him.
And trust me he'll be givien the lecture once he gets home.
I will forever be greatful and thank you in advance.

mugenb20b, Jan 28, 5:09am
OK, firstly, how do you know that!

mugenb20b, Jan 28, 5:12am
It's not a perfect world, and can be done slowly if the engine keeps running. The sudden influx of cold water in a hot, non running engine will create problems.

mugenb20b, Jan 28, 5:17am
If that's the case, from personal experience, I doubt it's an air lock problem, but of course, can't guarantee that over the internet.

If it is a head or head gasket issue = engine out job, and a very expensive and time consuming exercise. Good luck.

jmma, Jan 28, 5:20am
Yes, but can you go and help!

mugenb20b, Jan 28, 5:21am
Apologies, didn't read that part.

dcm_landscaping, Jan 28, 5:26am
At this stage engine out is not an option :-( as he needs to get home so he can go to work on Monday morning.
I'm just hoping that at this stage by what info is above (flushing the airlock out) this hasn't caused the head to crack.
I feel really helpless because I'm stuck in Wellington, now with no car.
Why my partner does what he does is a completely different story, I'm just the wifey/partner who stands by him no matter what.

corky, Jan 28, 5:56am
Not me, last "idiot mechanic" OPs words, that tried to help got kicked in the goolies by the OP on this message board.

dcm_landscaping, Jan 28, 6:15am
I'm a female and by no means a mechanic, but I actually listenedwhen I was told never pour cold water on or into a hot engine when it's not running.

dcm_landscaping, Jan 28, 6:31am
So I find out it was an airlock in the first case but it has now become a gasket issue due to the overheating.
*inserts facepalm emoticon*

jason18, Jan 28, 6:31am
Tell him to go get some iron tight. Run it through the engine and see if that will be a quick fix for him to get home. Where in hams is he!

jason18, Jan 28, 6:34am
I actually have some iron tight and am willing to help him out tomorrow if he wants. Its not a proper fix but it may allow him to make it back to Wellington. Text me on my classified listing number

dcm_landscaping, Jan 28, 6:40am
I'm not sure whereabouts in Hamilton he is but if I give you his number you may be better at assisting

jason18, Jan 28, 6:44am
No worries. He can text me tonight

dcm_landscaping, Jan 28, 6:50am
I will text you his number

dcm_landscaping, Jan 29, 1:25am
Just an update: he's made it to Tokoroa so far. It's going to be an extra slow trip but he's getting there, every km towards Wellington is better than nothing.
Thank you for your help to jason18 my partner will be in contact so we can send you something for your help.

jason18, Jan 29, 1:26am
Oh no worries. I dont need anything im just happy to help. Thought the iron tight would have worked better than it did. Im glad its still driving for him. New engine time and she be sweet.

falcon-hell, Jan 29, 2:31am
good on you jason18,i read the same thread posted in general last night,some people are sympathetic but a hell of a lot of them are snide buggars,good to see people helping out strangers-that is cool.

jason18, Jan 29, 7:36am
Yeah must admit i enjoy helping people out. Feels good.