Any UZ experts here?

desertcolt07, Oct 4, 3:09pm
considering upgrading my early 1uz for more power and want some advice.
option 1) m90 or m112 supercharger

option 2) port/polish heads + cams + itbs

already running a megasquirt with a MAP sensor and a w58 5-speed that might crap it self with more than 8-10 lbs boost. whats that bigger job (hours wise) here, installing the supercharger or swapping cylinder heads

cabrio1, Oct 4, 7:09pm
Guessing here, easier to fit a supercharger, if you have all the parts, time wise.
More fiddling about time with the heads. I'm guessing.
My friend put a twin turbo on his, in a Mazda ute.
You?

desertcolt07, Oct 5, 9:19am
nah, no turbos. was always planning to stay n/a and spent a bunch on headers for that

mechnificent, Oct 5, 9:58am
The two different options are really worlds apart Desert. If you just want a mild tweek then the head job will do it the easier. If it's a serious power gain then the charger will be what you want.
Modern motors are already well designed and have good air flow. bigger valves, port and polish and new exhaust isn't really going to get you a lot.
The charger will give you a lot more torque and power, but will take a lot of setting up, and other mods.

sw20, Oct 5, 10:16am
Swap in a 3uz.

desertcolt07, Oct 5, 10:25am
no after crazy power, fairly certain the gear box will give up so around 300hp@ wheels would be great.
basically, id by either the head package or supercharger kit and take it to my mechanic. just wanting to find out which is going to cost more to put in.

mechnificent, Oct 5, 10:35am
Well I haven't done any mods on them, but I'd imagine that to get the turbo or charger to give it's best, you'd probably be wanting to use different pistons or lower the comp ratio a little somehow. So you'd end up taking the heads off anyway.
The fitting might not be the expensive part either way. the cert, parts and outwork may be.

Surely all the pros and cons of the options are well documented online.

mechnificent, Oct 5, 10:37am
Have you retuned it with the megasquirt or is it all pretty much standard.

There are probably a few mods there that will get you a little more power. though possible at the cost of reliability or durability.

desertcolt07, Oct 5, 10:43am
just running the base tune at the moment

mechnificent, Oct 5, 10:53am
Well you can probably tweek the injection and timing to get a little more out of it. best done with a dyno but possible with a laptop and a cautious patient approach. You just tweek it up till it blows then back it off a little haha.

Nah seriously, if you keep the laptop in the car and log the temp, knock detector, load, and all the other sensor readings as you drive after some small tweek, you can gradually work a little more power out of it.

The temp and knock detector are the ones to watch to make sure it doesn't blow. The others help you make sensible choices what to tweek next as you go around and around working things up a bit to suit the last tweek.

tine0212, Dec 31, 8:48am
Find a 2UR-GSE from an isf. 100kw+ more than the 1UZ standard