Spring and summer wider selection of cars?

billyfieldman, Aug 24, 2:17pm
Do dealers bring in a lot more cars during spring and summer than winter months?

intrade, Aug 24, 3:25pm
no they bring the wracks back online that the tourists drove last season.

s_nz, Aug 24, 9:10pm
Regarding tourists, I think it is common for rental car companies to place orders for new cars to be delivered in late spring, and to dispose of cars in late summer. This means they have 1 years turnover more cars over the summer peak tourism season than they have in the off season.

kazbanz, Aug 25, 3:57pm
billy--actually with used jap imports our winter is the best time to buy cars.
Over there its summer AND they tend to release new models mid year ish.

billyfieldman, Aug 26, 4:12pm
Would that mean that by the time those used Japanese cars are auctioned, shipped to NZ and cleared compliance, it would be late winter to early spring before it gets onto the car yards for sale?

kazbanz, Aug 26, 4:15pm
NORMAL turn around from purchase to arrival (for a dealer) is four weeks

stevo2, Aug 26, 4:50pm
Big hold ups at the Port of Auckland.
My new car was on a ship that berthed in Auckland on 22 August. I will see it here in Tauranga on the 5th September.

kazbanz, Aug 26, 5:03pm
id be talking to your shippers. Im currently getting cars within 48 hours of berthing. Someone is slipping methinks.
hang on a bit--nothing in on 22 garnet ace was 21 and last free day was 25th so something is really fishy

stevo2, Aug 26, 5:07pm
Thanks Kaz
No good me talking to the shippers, this is what the dealer has told me.
Ship berthed 22nd, Transport to Tga 3rd, 2 days to have it rego'd and pre- delivery groomed ready for me to collect.
Pickup 5th Sept.

kazbanz, Aug 26, 5:11pm
Sorry stevo--something aint right. I can tell you for certain the wharf had to be cleared by the 25th.

stevo2, Aug 26, 5:21pm
Ok, Thanks Kaz.
I dont know why the dealer wouldnt want to get it down here as soon as possible then.
They have only been paid a $3k deposit when I ordered it 3 months ago and I would have thought they would be needing to get the balance as soon as they could. They may have had to pay for it already?

tony9, Aug 26, 5:35pm
We see a lot of the traffic North of Christchurch on SH1. Last week saw two car transporters heading South empty (never seen that before).

stevo2, Aug 26, 5:38pm
Including "Brand Spankers"?

kazbanz, Aug 27, 6:31am
if you are in Tauranga im wondering why the vehicle was offloaded in Aucks. It woulda made more sense to do so in Tga , Theres a few reasons it wasn't sent right away. They might not have organised the truck soon enough.I would say that if it was a car with very little margin in it that they may not have paid for it-hoping the dollar comes back to somewhere close to 75. --It dropped down to low 72 s early last week. -on a 10k car that's nearly $500 difference

stevo2, Aug 27, 7:01am
Thanks Kaz, its a Brand Spanking New One. Ordered 3 months ago, upgrade of the old model with "More Power" as Jeremy Clarkson would say. Possibly the first in the country?

the-lada-dude, Aug 27, 7:38am
I wonder too. POT is the largest port in NZ

westwyn, Aug 27, 10:32am
POT is generally not set up for RO-RO vessel sailings- it's a bulk cargo export port, with constraints on space, that don't lend themselves to vehicle loading / unloading facilities. The cars that DO come in via Tauranga are normally container freight, either 20 or 40TU boxes, that are often not devanned in POT but railed (or trucked) to devanning facilities in Auckland, where MPI facilities etc are in place for vehicles. Currently, the wharf issues (extreme space constraints coupled with industrial action unease) means a number of RO-RO sailings are bypassing Lyttleton altogether, discharging everything in Auckland and then returning on the circuit to Japan (or whichever loop they run, some do a loop passage via Australia, Thailand, Korea etc before Japan). There are a lot of vehicles being trans-shipped around New Zealand at the moment not with conventional ship transit.

westwyn, Aug 27, 10:40am
One big difference, by the way, between new, and used, stock discharged at Auckland, is the stacking. Used- because of the varied nature of clients, transport arrangements, BIL details, and customer payments, cars have to be accessible (within reason) for individual identification and "plucking" out of the line-ups for transport.

New- the most common method of parking is "block-stacking" where stock for the same distributor is block-stacked bumper-to-bumper, door-to-door, to save on space (since a number of distributors use the wharf bonded areas as defacto PDI points), getting out individual units can be problematic if not impossible, so vehicles are loaded on to transporters in "blocks" in the way they are parked up. For most distributors, this is just efficiency in dealing with larger inventory requirements for future sale. Unfortunately, at times, pre-ordered stock can get caught up in these logistical arrangements. New and used are very different on the Ports.

kazbanz, Aug 27, 10:44am
Sorry Stevo I assumed it was a used car. Forget what I posted.The entire structure is different for New.

westwyn, Aug 27, 11:01am
POT is an export port, primarily bulk, mostly logs and Fonterra product. It's not set up for import goods in the same way.

carstauranga001, Aug 27, 12:25pm
Stevo it's normal for new cars to go from the port to (in this case) Mazda Auckland compound. days latter Mazda NZ boffins get it trucked to Tauranga. You may actually get it a couple of days sooner than stated as IMO they give themselves some breathing space when quoting delivery times.

stevo2, Aug 27, 1:25pm
Thanks Bryce. One of my henchmen saw it on a transporter this morning coming into tauranga and gave me a call. It will be ready for me later in the week. Happy days.
Zoom Zoom.

carstauranga001, Aug 27, 2:41pm
Good shit mate.

stevo2, Oct 13, 6:11pm
Yes Bryce, just finished work early so I could go have a looksee. Good shit pretty well sums it up. Keen to go and burn a bit of fuel this weekend lol