Nissan March 2002 - Blown Head Gasket?

Page 1 / 2
daisydweeb, Aug 26, 12:05pm
Nissan March 2002, 1240cc is overheating. Coolant reservoir bubbling over. Been told it is likely to be a head gasket, removing thermostat made no difference. Am I on the right track? Any ideas to how much this would cost?

franc123, Aug 26, 12:15pm
We'll quite likely it is, but you will need to have it confirmed either by a cylinder leak test or a chemical test which checks for the presence of combustion gas in the cooling system known by the name of the product called TeeKay. Once that's confirmed the work will also involve careful examining of how true the top face of the block is, (and preferably replacement) of things like water pump and radiator to ensure that these didn't contribute to the failure. It could easily be $1500-2000 for a guaranteeable job which may not be worth proceeding with depending on its current condition and value. They are known for doing this.

msigg, Aug 26, 12:44pm
Yes you are on the right track, the pressure from the piston pushing up is pressurising the cooling system, as above, what is the car worth? Do the sums and go from there.

mals69, Aug 26, 12:45pm
Never heard of a blown head gasket being in the
Known basket re a March, what are you basing
your known statement on franc ?

toyboy3, Aug 26, 12:57pm
Maybe the impeller has come off the water pump of the fins have rusted away and no water circulation

curlcrown, Aug 26, 3:27pm
If I had a dollar for every false diagnosis of a blown head gasket I've heard I'd have enough for a decent night out.

kazbanz, Aug 26, 4:10pm
Stat gone still bubbling--is the rad blocked?

marte, Aug 27, 1:42am
The last 2 cars I bought with "A blown head gasket"
1 was a broken waterpump belt= $12 fix
2 was a broken oil cooler = had a spare one already, lots of time cleaning out oil from the coolant, + 2nd hand oil/filter swap. Do that again.
Then do it again with brand new oil/filter $65.
New coolant = $60+ each too.
I need to replace the crankcase ventilation housings on both of them too. $40 X 2.

strobo, Aug 27, 5:38am
Also a simple check on the electric cooling fan working ! Just to be told "likely" or "pretty much" is not a definitive diagnosis!

desmodave, Aug 27, 4:50pm
Nope , its clean as a whistle , spose i had better take the water pump off to check it . It's my daughters car Kaz

desmodave, Aug 27, 5:18pm
Frank , its my daughters car , for the TK test would they need the car on site or could i send a water sample of somewhere . Im a 100km from any large workshop so won't wan't to drive there . Will take the water pump off for look tomorrow but im not expecting to find an easy fix . Late last year she had driven from Karamea to Nelson , nearly back to her Collage and i get a call saying the cars over heating . Not much i can do from here 3.5 hours drive away . That's what your in the AA for kid . Had an AA roadside assistance call out who told her to get the thermostat checked at a garage. She got the car checked at a garage, told her it was fine and didn’t charge her. She arrived here Saturday arvo after driving from Westport , i could hear the cooling fan running when she got to my gate . Dad my car's over heated again . Welcome to the joys of car ownership kid :-)

desmodave, Aug 27, 5:19pm
Fan working .

franc123, Aug 27, 5:38pm
How do you know that? The only way to check that properly is getting it flow tested at a radiator shop.

strobo, Aug 27, 5:54pm
Check the radiator cap as this is easily over looked and this too can cause early leak off.,What you are looking for in the cap is the 2 rubber seals .a swollen or not so flat surface on the topside undercap and the bottom vacuum seal faulty not allowing the thermo syphon system to function as it should to replenish the radiator level from the reservoir after evaporation.A faulty cap can cause overheating too as much as a small coolant leak somewhere such as leaks when hot but not cold! There is another sure fire check for leaky gasket with 3 common items but would not suggest it in here.It has potential for harm .
Thoroughly check things before pulling bits off.Or know exactly why the engine overheats before ripping into it!

snoopy221, Aug 27, 5:57pm
Before ya waste ya time pulling the water pump off.
Does the heater blow hot air?
Only EVER had to replace one water pump(before plastic houers).
And the reason was no heater-as in lack of circulation.
And when ! Coolant reservoir bubbling over.!
Zat be combustion gasses in zee waterin system.

Teekay is a simple chemical test kit MOST small garages will have.
Also any place with emission meters can simply check for hydrocarbons at the radiator cap in virtually milliseconds.
Other home test is warm er up grab a large funnel-add tape to outside of funnel to seal in radiator cap hole add water and observe zee bubblemaker-as in.

Zat be combustion gasses in zee waterin system.

strobo, Aug 27, 6:11pm
snoops is blunt into it.looking for a constant stream of lemonade bubbles (denotes a leaky gasket)not the glurps & burps with normal bleeding .keep water in the funnel while observing .it will get to a point where it will gush out boiling water .so don't get too close .check this at idle .if the engine on the cooler side at start up the level will drop some when the thermostat should open .also a wee rev up up will rise and fall the level .an indicator the water pump is doing its job .

snoopy221, Aug 27, 6:13pm
Zat blunt E already read zey ALREADY took zee thermostat OUT

LOL

desmodave, Aug 27, 6:16pm
Good idea , that saves me a job , no pump to to circulate hot water for heater = no heat . Heater was fine . I know them bubbles you speak of .

strobo, Aug 27, 6:17pm
Clever bugger ;-)

strobo, Aug 27, 6:21pm
Check radiator too normally should be cooler on the bottom tank and hotter on the top tank.Those thermo heat guns come in handy.

desmodave, Aug 27, 6:25pm
To be honest , the only reason i was going to pull the pump was so i could say its fine and all impellers are intact . Just because it was mentioned like . Not the end the world , i hear they have a good bus service in Wellington where she's living .

desmodave, Aug 27, 6:32pm
Going to blame the thermostat at this stage , looked like it was cocked to 1 side and binding i guess . Be thinking it not opening fully or closing fully . .

desmodave, Aug 27, 6:57pm
oi , i seen it 1st ok . Could add it to my might come in handy 1 day list of tools .

curlcrown, Aug 27, 8:02pm
I've even had a so called mechanic tell me my car had a blown head gasket because when he took the cap of when it was warm and reved the engine water came out. I sold the car to a local six months ago and I see it driving passed at least once a week.

strobo, Aug 27, 9:01pm
You said earlier had removed the thermostat and it made no difference?
I'm sure you'll enjoy sorting it :-)