Mondeo 2.3 and 2.0 diesel

eleni01, Jul 6, 2:26am
Could anyone offer some advise on the two models.
Looking to spend around $8k on a car primarily used for around the city/suburbs.
The Mondeos look to be good value for money, and from what I've read are pretty reliable vehicles. I believe the early Mondeo diesels (around '08, '09) have conventional autos and no DPF (?). Any long term issues with the 2.0 TD?
Do the 2.3 petrols like to drink? I have a feeling the size/weight of the car might see the bigger four cylinder return fuel figures similar to a six cylinder Falcon/Commdore etc.

Other ones I've considered are

2010-2012 Corolla
2009 ish Mazda 3 2.0 & Mazda 6 2.3
Fiat 500 & Punto manuals - horrible re sale sees these as decent second hand buys (?)

TIA

msigg, Jul 6, 7:17am
well the best out of the lot is the corolla, they will be more expensive than the others because they are so much better, so all comes down to how much you can spend and if you want to settle for second best. The later model corolla is just so good but too expensive for your budget. I would look for a good one as late model as you can find in your budget.Each to their own, this is my suggestion.

vtecintegra, Jul 6, 7:55am
IIRC the diesel Mondeo were all DCTs in that period onwards but it wasn't the really problematic one (that was in smaller models). I'd still avoid though.

The Mazda 3 and 6 will be a 2l or a 2.5 by that year. I don't think the 2l is enough engine for the 6.

Corolla is only good with the manual IMO which limits you to low spec cars (high spec were all that 4 speed auto)

I don't rate the Fiats at all, they're cheap for a reason.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 6, 1:53pm
Punto's are a darn good car. Super reliable and super cheap/easy to maintain.

How big of a car do you need?

If you don't need huge the Panda Twinair is an absolute hoot and much more up to date than the Punto. Absurdly cheap to run (like 4.2l/100km) but thanks to it's award winning modern engine design means it's also fun and very grunty even at low revs.

I would also consider a VW Passsat B6 as a Mondeo alternative. Just better built and more refined for the same money.

monaro17, Jul 6, 3:33pm
My lord you do have a thing for corollas. Very Easily impressed :-D

bumfacingdown, Jul 6, 3:43pm
Damn good answer to
'Could anyone offer some advise on the two models. "

apollo11, Jul 6, 3:43pm
I've got the petrol 2.0L manual. Nice to drive, good fuel economy and so far it's been reliable. Not so easy to find in that configuration though.

tamarillo, Jul 6, 4:10pm
But even better response to:
Other ones I've considered are

2010-2012 Corolla
2009 ish Mazda 3 2.0 & Mazda 6 2.3
Fiat 500 & Punto manuals - horrible re sale sees these as decent second hand buys (?)

tamarillo, Jul 6, 4:16pm
Op, you seems to be looking at a range from a supermini like the fiat 500 to a large/ medium mondeo. But confusing I'm afraid.
Buy yes the older 2.3 mondeo is a heavy big car and can be close to falcon like if heavy foot is used, it actaully weighs damn nearly same.
So if you don't need that size certainly go smaller.
Broadly speaking for city suburbs use, unless you're driving all day doing lots of miles, petrols are better.
Can you do a sedan? You can just get into a Honda Accord euro 2.4 NZ new which is more economical than a mondeo and a bit smaller.
Otherwise hatches like Corolla, Mazda 3, etc.
if you like a euro certainly the fiat is great value, or for a bit of sophistication a VW golf.

sw20, Jul 6, 6:15pm
It's the best car for people that just want to get from A to B without fuss. The bonus is the great resale value, where if you bought some oddball to be different it would be effectively scrap.

manolo, Jul 6, 7:57pm
Mondeos are great cars for the money and do huge mileage. Resale is poor on them compared to the Mazda 6 or Corolla though. Wouldn't be my pick for city driving though as they are big heavy cars and tend to suck fuel around town. The fuel pump is an expensive weakness in them but most Mondeos you are looking at should have had this replaced by now. Also most are NZ new and being fleet cars would have some good service history.

Another car to look at which is a real good value package is the 2010+ Mitsi Lancer NZ New. You get a lot of car for the price with some 2.4 VRX Lancers going at under 9k with lowish KMs. It's simple tech but fairly reliable and you get the extras like HID lights, multi airbags, traction control etc. Its not the best driving experience but they are nice looking cars that are fairly reliable

3tomany, Jul 6, 9:50pm
Corolla is not even in the same class as Mondeo and even in its own class it is best at nothing. Just a cheap average car for rentals and fleets.

3tomany, Jul 6, 9:55pm
Mondeo is an awesome car we have a diesel 2010 torque converter auto done 150,000ks no problems at all. It gets a hiding from everyone as it is our runabout, but oh so reliable and drinks 7ltrs per hundred ks.

mrfxit, Jul 7, 9:53am
We had a 2003-ish Mondeo 2ltr manual
Bits falling off all over the place, power steering grumbling, soft lumbering elephant to drive.
Just felt so wrong in many ways compared to pretty much anything non Mondeo.
Seats/ gearshift/ handling/ glass area/ control stalks etc (indicators etc)
Sold it 2 years ago & it's still running altho getting rougher.

Reliable yes/ nice car . not that 1
It's a Euro car. Not an English/ NZ/ Aussie or Usa car, it's just "different"
Driven a few various models & still got the same sensation.
Love it or hate it, not a lot in between

apollo11, Jul 7, 6:44pm
They are really cheap to buy, second hand parts are really cheap. so they appeal to my Scottish pockets. Huge inside too, drove over the Rimutakas today for some shopping, stuffed seven bales of ceiling Batts into it.

manolo, Jul 7, 7:14pm
With every new model they have had massive improvements and the 2008 Mondeo MK4 was the World car of the year! The Mark V is even better and now produces 180 kw off of power from the 2L ecoboost engine which leaves all the other mainstream models in the dust

esprit, Jul 7, 7:31pm
Mondeo diesels of that age are conventional auto. Not that there is anything wrong with the dual clutch transmission. We have a 2012 diesel wagon and even around town it only drinks around 7.5 l/100. Lot of car for the money and actually pretty reliable compared to cars like the Passat suggested, which have no end of issues in the same age range.

vtecintegra, Jul 7, 8:15pm
You sure about that?

manolo, Dec 2, 7:10am
Sounds odd- the 6 speed slushbox is in the diesel Mondeo 2008-09. 2010 is a changeover year for the powershift in the diesel so some 2010 rego Mondeo diesels will have the DCT and some don't. From 2011 onwards the diesels will have the DCT powershift. Have a chat to the Ford service guys about their reliability- they say the DCT is great as long as it's serviced every 60K but the cost of the service puts people off doing it