WOF & rear window wiper

marte, Aug 30, 9:41pm
My rear window wiper is not working & I needing a WOF soon.

Is it a WOF item they can fail it on?

There's a thin 4 wire plug going into it, the outer 2 wires are thicker than the inner two.
If I short out the inner two, the rear window sprayer sprays.

But a light bulb put across the outer two does not light up when the stalk is set to have the rear wipers working.

All I can think of is that the stalks got a bad connection ( I have tried a new wiper relay & checked the fuses)
Replacing the stalk switch means removing the airbag. Thought at the same time I could shift the indicator stalk to the right hand side.

I connected 12 volts directly to the two outer wires on the motor & it worked.

macman26, Aug 30, 9:59pm
I can say I have never seen anyone check any of my rear window wipers

marte, Aug 30, 10:37pm
Thankyou, that's enough confidence for me to go with.

I was thinking they would be "If it's fitted, it's gotta work"
& everything I see on the internet about WOF is only mentioning 'Windscreen wipers' not "Rear window wipers'".

Another option was just to rewire the whole thing and put in a switch for it.

supernova2, Aug 31, 12:23am
Is it a bhatch? If so likely the wire is broken in the hinge area.

franc123, Aug 31, 12:25am
It's not a fail item, no. If you don't want it to work don't worry about it.

msigg, Aug 31, 7:16am
Yes as frank or supernova, you need to work your way back through the wire to see where broken, look at the colours and look under the steering column for other end. run a new wire?. Over to you how much time you want to spend on it. If any.

intrade, Aug 31, 8:28am
well if it is a newer car then your not gona run a new wire as the can bus comands the signal to the rear computer and then the windo wiper computer disideds to turn it in to a 0 or a 1 to make the whiper motor move . Why make it easy when it can be done complicated . huh.
if your in luck then the one or 0 wire is broken and not the chips in the comunactaion area network.
if you got 2 outside mirrors then you definet dont need the wiper to work.
Might fail on rubber perished so whole arm removal would solf that problem like my astra has no rear whiper arm.

kazbanz, Aug 31, 10:22am
marte-as others have stated it aint a fail item.
my suggestion for you would be to see if a local wrecker will let you borrow the stalk part for a couple of seconds.-Then try it in their carpark--if it fixes the issue then all good --if not then busted wire in the hatch would be my guess.

alfred011, Aug 31, 11:40pm
Take the wiper arm off it then it doesn't have to work

marte, Oct 9, 5:47pm
Thanks heaps guys,
I had a look under the rubber boot between the rear hatch & there's no chafing there at all. Trying to follow the wires thru the car was near impossible, I didn't know the wipers were not working when I had both seats & carpet out to dry & clean it.
There's a big bunch of connection blocks on each side of the car near where your feet go, & another run of wires up centre.
Unless I find a wiring diagram I probably won't bother, my sedan version does not have rear wipers anyway.
I think everything else is good & will pass the WOF that I hope to get this week.
It's a 97 Audi A4 wagon that I bought for $100, plus $400 for it's alloys, plus $200 in fuel & $100 for the trailer to pick it up.
Plus $20 back rego, $20 new plates & $40 for postage to sort out the personalised plates dilemma I found my way thru with good advise gotten from here too.
I bought it as a 'blown head gasket' turned out it was just a blown oil cooler & the engine runs like a sewing machine.
While to total $ costs a bit high, it looks good. Slightly hoonish but more use with a towbar & sleeping space in the back than the other Audi's I have.
6 month WOF though.
Thanks again