Ouch! Continental Cars ordered to payout

cjohnw, Jul 10, 10:36am

thejazzpianoma, Jul 10, 11:27am
But car dealers are all honest in this country or they get kicked out of the industry!

*Waits for them to slither in and defend this one*

intrade, Jul 10, 1:59pm
is that the continental in auckland?
a client took them to court 2 times for a destroyed engine on the t5 can he purchased and then again for the bodged repair job. That was years ago now. If i see continental in service information id say they just stamped and chared for it So dont trust any work to be carried out if they done it.

kazbanz, Jul 10, 2:04pm
Something just doesn't add up.-There has to be more to this story.
The guy pays a deposit of $5k so his outlay was 5k total.
There was nothing in wrighting -No Vosa etc yet the courts award $130k?

rbd, Jul 10, 2:46pm
I'd be awaiting the appeal.

cjohnw, Jul 10, 2:57pm
I think the last paragraph explains how the judgement was reached. However, I do not agree that you can be compensated for missing out on a bargain. Surely this happens at places everyday "sorry mate the stock has completely sold out".

The judge ordered Continental to pay $130,000 – the difference between the F12’s market value of $610,000 and the contract price. “Thompson lost his ability to purchase the F12 lower than its market value. He’s entitled to be compensated for that loss of a bargain.”

kazbanz, Jul 10, 3:07pm
yea that bit.

rbd, Jul 10, 3:15pm
I would have thought the "market value" of a surplus Ferrari F12 was whatever someone was willing to pay and not a cent more.

I know someone who bought a new Aston Martin at a great price after being approached by the dealer. It was a car bought in for a specific repeat client that didn't want it once it was here. As it was a premium model typically made to order this car had less value, being already here without the ability to customize. A deal was done as the buyer basically got it without the crippling first year depreciation that is normal.

next-to-normal, Jul 10, 5:17pm
so another dealer in christchurch spotted the bargain too

supernova2, Jul 10, 5:17pm
Had a quick look for the decision and couldn't find it on-line (yet). Wonder how the press got hold of it?
I'm struggling to see how you could be compensated for "loss of a bargain". Fair enough refund the deposit and some compensation for loss of interest, time bother etc but how do you get from that point to having to pay your (potential) customer an amount equal to what your customer was going to pay you for product you now can't supply?

tamarillo, Nov 29, 9:55am
Must be more behind this. Surely he knew it was all dependant on the car actually becoming available and a deal of this sort can fall through.