Slide outs in caravans.

survivalkiwi, Nov 3, 7:56pm
We are looking at buying a new or near new caravan. The models with the slide outs look great.
Has anyone heard of any problems with them. E.g leaking or sticking when they getting older?
The slide outs that is.

survivalkiwi, Nov 3, 8:11pm
Thanks for that. I can't believe I hadn't seen that one on tm. I thought I had looked at every caravan on tm.

captaink, Nov 3, 8:26pm
Depends a little on what you buy. The Americans/Canadians have been doing it for years and have it down to a fine art. the Europeans said they wouldn't do it because they leak? actually their vans were not structurally capable of supporting slides, tho Bayley are now joining the fray with a new design.
I have a Canadian caravan that I have owned for about 8 years (2005 build) seals are needing to be changed, I have a Winnebago (motorhome) that I have owned since 2004 (1995 build) that has never leaked around the slide outs.
I also had numerous American vans that had reasonably serious leak problems but never the slide outs. ( Roof seams mainly)
Jayco (Aust) have had 'pushouts' for some time and are extending their range into full blown slide outs, Avida now offer them, Bayley as mentioned and many others will no doubt follow.
All I can say is once you have had the benefit of a slide out you won't ever want to go back to a standard layout.

survivalkiwi, Nov 3, 8:29pm
The Australian made Baileys have them in some models.

survivalkiwi, Dec 8, 11:12pm
Captaink. How have you found having the doors on the right hand side of your caravans?