Perished Tyres 1936 Morris 8

Page 2 / 2
esky-tastic, Jul 25, 10:13am
He’ll no, too easy to get a WOF here.

Op could borrow tyres to get a WOF then swap tyres back, that’s how easy to get a WOF in NZ!

mrfxit, Jul 25, 10:52am
Fair enough Kaz. BUT, theres difference between your example & the op's car that is about as different as race cars & earth mover trucks

pfemstn, Jul 25, 11:36am
modern jap import tyres are nothing like the tyres of old! regardless of who drives this car top speed is under 80kph, any driver these days is unlikely to exceed 70 kph, in fear of engine failure!

kazbanz, Jul 25, 12:00pm
I'd say --nahh not really or if anything the OP's tyres are more of a risk to himself or someone roadside than the jap stuff. My logic being his are likely the old cloth crossply which are more likely to fly apart that the modern steel belt radials. based on construction and age.
70km/h is still a reasonable speed to have a tyre fly apart.
Im not all hung up on this though. the "cotton wool" brigade are bad enough.

mooy, Jul 25, 12:40pm
HAHA they are all dead now.

mooy, Jul 25, 12:43pm
Not at all I know enough to understand that the tyres are not unsafe.
And as others have said just that old car being on the road is a danger in itself.

mooy, Jul 25, 12:51pm
Good comment but I think that the rubber on tyres are not as good as they used to be. I remember when I was a teenager I could not afford to buy new tyres and we had a guy re groove them to get a WOF.

snoopy221, Jul 25, 12:53pm
mooy the whole point is a 30 year old tire that to a warrant inspector is showing perishing and therefore has past it's use by date and is not up to a passable standard has therefore failed as the inspector is not prepared to sign his name and be legally responsible for any consequential damage.
And that is his right to either sign or not.
bugger it is all 4 tires but tis simply due to age and the damaging effect of the sun

mrfxit, Jul 25, 1:46pm
It was cleared up a few years ago that wof inspectors are not liable for what happens after a wof is completed correctly in their workshop.
Remember that string of accident storys involving space saver wheels & a couple of rusty vehicles (rust well hidden) falling apart in crashes?
(If I remember correctly) Pokono Garage got caught up in that mess as did a few others.

mrfxit, Jul 25, 1:47pm
Theres not many vintage type tyres on the road that are not past their std "use by date"

snoopy221, Jul 25, 1:51pm
pre google days but as always when ya signing ya name and are well aware that there was a case in a court in this country where a warrant of fitness issuer was taken to court by the new zealand police and charged with manslaughter you are VERY aware

mrfxit, Jul 25, 1:57pm
Those cases including vehicles falling apart in a crash from excess rust, had a reasonably fresh wof, hence the police action to try & blame the wof inspector/s for not spotting it.
A lot of wof authority's got cancelled just after that mess was settled.

kazbanz, Jul 25, 5:04pm
Lets put it this way. if I said to you -hey lets go scuba diving -theres a cool wreck at 40m -The air hoses of your gear were all 30 years old and only had "surface cracks" -would you trust that gear ?

mrfxit, Jul 25, 5:54pm
There was a few other events happening around the same couple of years hence why it got messy

snoopy221, Jul 25, 6:17pm
Yep was the time of imports and seatbelt regulations changing.
As in we were supplied with a book that stated that JISD4604 was an approved standard.
Having just been recertified that very morning had an american mazda in which just had a ! Roller Blind Reel ! as a seatbelt tagged as a JISD4604.
Made a phone call and was told by the man that had JUST recertified me to issue for 12 months that i had to pass it.

L M A O. [N W G F F O]

Sent it direct to the gods/powers that be man that had just passed me.
As in YOU can sign your OWN damn name on this mate PERSONALLY not me.

Gee the letters ELR V W are NOW the standard for those belts LOL.
2 fatals with non emergency locking retractor vehicle and webbing sensitive and a wrong book and powers that be realising PERSONALLY

[And me ole sparrow if ya dunno what N W G F FO means well i'm so damn good i'll sing it to ya LOL]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jLoxp8EmoM

scuba, Jul 25, 8:49pm
yes your right about the wof inspection being a pass at the time of the check but your dreaming if you think an inspecter at the same station is going to rule against his work mate

pdc1, Jul 25, 9:22pm
interesting comments and beliefs. I feel for you mooy and totally agree with what you are saying, however you have to understand the pressure that the wof is under too. I probably would make the same decision if I was an inspector.
My advice is that if you are pretty sure and confident that your tyres are safe, take the lost of the cost of inspection, and go somewhere else. Do the homework first to find someone that understands old cars, and can use some discretion.
Have you got any pictures of the perishing that you can post on here?
I would suggest that before the next inspection, make sure the air pressure s are right. Do some google research on rubber revival. I’ve never tried but I understand glycerine can be used to revive old rubber. I don’t really want to start talking about camouflage, but cleaning them and tyre blacking them may help you, and Burt monroe was on to it using shoe polish to pass his inspection for bonneville, mine you his bike wasn’t nowhere as fast as your morrie 8 that other posters seem to believe.

Above all else, stop and carefully question yourself that the inspector really was giving you the right advice.

snoopy221, Jul 25, 9:28pm
re #44 as someone involved in warrants for years AND involved in respective legislation .

There are MANY exemptions for older vehicles tires are NOT one of them.

However as has been posted prior re .
Going to a tire place and obtaining signed paperwork from them.

May place a warrant of fitness inspector in the position they are in with a stone chip in a windscreen in critical vision area which they CAN pass with documentation from a windscreen repairer

supernova2, Jul 25, 11:33pm
Well I've had a recheck of a kingpin done at a VTNZ and it passed no problem at all. The 2nd guy has no idea what the 1st guy saw (or thought he saw).
In the case of tyres how would anyone know if the tyres presented at recheck were the same tyres as were rejected in 1st check?

And don't forget with VTNZ you can get the recheck done at any branch anywhere in the country so the chances of the 2nd guy being the 1st guys best mate are pretty remote.

pdc1, Jul 26, 12:03am
Not talking about exemptions, but interpretations - perishing is hard to measure and achieve the same standard throughout all inspectors. I’m simply pointing out that some inspectors make different calls

Interesting comments about a tyre place providing signed paperwork. Would the wof inspector just be looking for a company letter head, or will they be looking for the appropriate letters after the signatures name?

bill-robinson, Jul 26, 7:46am
mooy, the wof is there to tell other road users that the car is safe to be used on public roads. NOT to make you spend money on safety items that keep you in control of your car.

mrfxit, Nov 13, 6:56am
LOL basically correct.
It's the inspectors job to point out things that they "interpret" as being correct in the VIRM, but in fact are not correct, but you don't know any better because it's not YOU thats the trained professional wof inspector