Audi TT or Toyota 86 model

Page 1 / 2
bonruger, Sep 26, 4:14pm
appreciate some views. Im looking at buying a coupe, like the TT, and the 86 Toyota. Will get a late model, around 2012 to 2014. Which do you think would be the better car?

slarty45, Sep 26, 5:07pm
the red one with 3 foot pedals

msigg, Sep 26, 6:01pm
Long term the Toyota is the better car, these things will hold their price long term where the tt will devalue.Both are good cars but to me the 86 is the better one. Each to their own.

bigfatmat1, Sep 26, 6:01pm
If you are a hair dresser get the TT. Otherwise buy the sti brz it has a real engine.

marmar1, Sep 26, 6:21pm
I would also go for the BRZ.

gunhand, Sep 26, 6:32pm
I got too deliver a brand spankers 86 about a year ago. 60km trip. It was very smooth and quite. Did everything you would expect a late model jap car to do.
It was very sain and sensible and a doodle to drive around town. It was a manual. Not being my mine I didnt thrash it but I can say it certainly did not lack power and I suspect it would go very well. As for handling, well it sat on the road like poo to a blanket. Nothing upset it at all. It went where you wanted it to. It was almost thought controlled lol. Well weighted steering.
Would I own one, nope, entirely unpractical for me lol.

bonruger, Sep 26, 6:45pm
thanks guys. an auto or manual?

tamarillo, Sep 26, 7:21pm
Depends what you like op. Both coupes but very different ones. Tt also comes in many versions from cooking fwd to smoking AWD. If you happy cooking then out of two I'd lean to Toyota 86. It's simplicity and name plate, and rear wheel drive being better.
But if you want smoking performance a TT v6 AWD will thrash an 86. But you'll pay for it up front and ongoing.
I'd look at a VW scirocco 2 litre over base TT, same bit underneath, much better looking.

bonruger, Sep 26, 7:35pm
thanks again! esp to you intrude. already got a new one of those, is that yours yr selling!

rob_man, Sep 26, 7:36pm
The 86, anything with the engine in front of the front wheels is just wrong.

bonruger, Sep 26, 7:50pm
thanks robman. my thoughts too

sr2, Sep 26, 7:55pm
You're getting your cars confused?
(53% front - 47% rear).

http://gt86.com.au/subaru-brz-drivetrain-and-powertrain/

bonruger, Sep 26, 8:05pm
now I'm confused. is the tt front wheel drive and the 86 rear

?

sw20, Sep 26, 8:08pm
Unless the TT is a Quattro. You would be correct.

tamarillo, Sep 27, 10:32pm
Think of the TT as a sports car golf. Same platform layout so front engines front wheel drive, unless it's a Quattro version which then makes it 4 wheel drive like Audi Quattro. Audi also have the A3 which is same underneath. It's one big family of golf, scirocco, a3, TT, and that's before getting complicated with Skoda. All are conventional front drivers or, for top models Quattro 4wd. Where they get real performance is when they have a v6 too, though the gti spec four punts nicely enough.
The 86 isn't actaully very powerful, in fact it's modest by sports car standards. But it's weight is low, partly due to boxer engine, it's pure rear wheel drive satisfying, and is voted by many experienced journos as one, if not the, best thing to enjoy at ordinary speeds, ever. Only things comes closest Mazda mx5 which is too small for many.
Personally, if I just wanted a zippy hot thing I'd stick to golf gti and enjoy the practicality over a TT with same oily bits. If style was super important a scirocco with gti's 2 litre engine.
If serious power and style a TT v6.
If simple good fun, without need for huge power, but with coupe style and relative simplicity and durability, the 86. Thoigh I'd try for the Subaru BRZ version ( same car different badge). Arguably the 86 is more Subaru than Toyota and wearing the Subaru badge seems more honest. Plus Toyota badge doesn't exactly thrill does it. ( I'll get in trouble for that!)

tamarillo, Sep 27, 10:33pm
Op, maybe tell us what your priorities are?

goodsound, Sep 28, 12:26am
actually avoid the v6 unless you are a hairdresser.
the lighter tt-s 2.0 is nicer to drive.
if you must have power go for the 5 cylinder tt-rs.
dual-clutch auto is faster.
manual more involving.

serf407, Sep 28, 8:11am
Be interesting to see if there is an air paddle shifter for the H-pattern manual on the BRZ/ 86-trd etc.
https://youtu.be/fpJbaWRp5Ss mme air paddle on h-pattern. http://www.mme-motorsport.com/en/products

rob_man, Sep 28, 12:34pm

tamarillo, Sep 28, 4:56pm
Nope, still lost.

bonruger, Sep 28, 5:19pm
thanks everyone. Im a female. mid life crisis! Yet to decide. Its mostly for driving around town, bit of open road, safeties a biggie too

cassina1, Sep 28, 7:09pm
If safety is an issue I would never buy a low sports coupe after being in a head on collision in one that was not my fault. I ended up buying a 4WD after that experience.

tamarillo, Sep 28, 7:31pm
But. low built sport coupe has much better ability to swerve suddenly and save a cock up or avoid some else's. Give me defensive ability and defensive driving anytime.

tamarillo, Sep 28, 7:34pm
Then sit and drive a four pot fwd TT and an auto 86. Don't need manual for your needs and auto better round town. Pros and cons lovers haters for both. Let your experience decide which one you most want to take home.

serf407, Sep 28, 11:41pm
A few other cars to consider depending on the quality of the mid- life crisis.
2012 or newer Subaru WRX sti - four wheel drive
Various beemers, BMW240i coupe 2016 (still under warranty?), ( m235i 2016) 435d, 2016
2007 Porsche Cayman for a around town., few '911's.
2012 or newer VF Commdore SS v8 for the open road.