Kaz- advice on Totota Isis?

ambo11, Oct 15, 12:43pm
Hi Kaz, looking for a change in vehice for running to work, always liked the Isis (unfortunate name).
I know the 2.0 litre has the CVT, but I'm keen on the 1.8. Is this basically Corolla running gear? Normal auto?
Do they have any inherent faults I need to know? After reliability most of all, and would these be able to safely tow a small light home trailer. all up weight including whats on the trailer no more than 500KG.
Cheers

kazbanz, Oct 15, 2:00pm
Ambo--Mate they ARE a Toyota corolla 1800 or fielder 1800.
No known faults as such but if its got electric doors I would cycle them a few times.
Other than the unfortunate name they are a brilliant vehicle.
That said-still get a PPI done.

ambo11, Oct 15, 5:14pm
Thanks for that, need to find one around here to actually sit in etc. considered a Wish but just don't like the look of them. Cheers

likit, Oct 15, 6:06pm
They are very noisy & no suspension or it feels like it. Mine is only a 1300. Also the body kit & grill don't seem to be held on by much, I've had to add a few extra screws for fear of everything falling off.
If I had stuck to my Aussie made cars this wouldn't be a problem.
I only purchased it to travel to work.

likit, Oct 16, 9:44am
Forgot to mention I have water leaking into the left rear passenger foot well even when car is parked up & no one can find where it is coming from.

intrade, Oct 16, 9:51am
check the door panel . vw mk2 golf where notorious for doing that and toyota is only just catching up to copy all that stuff.
if you put a A4 sheet of paper on bottom of door when you close it you soon see if the water comes from under the door trim inside the car.
Vw just had a sticky gue and a plastic foil to keep water inside the door not the car.

intrade, Oct 16, 10:00am
if you follow logic if its wet it gets in somehow The only other place is the rear cargo window , This would mean the water would come down under the carpet of the rear seat in to the footwell.
if the footwell look under front seat goes way forward and water from a leaking front door corner would make it down you put a sheet of A4 in to the door there and close it to see if it gets wet. make sure it hangs in the air so no chance that water was traveling up the sheet.

kazbanz, Oct 16, 10:15am
I think you misread the original post.
There is no such thing as a 1300cc Toyota Isis. they are either 1800 or 2.0l. I suspect you have an IST. If the body kit on that is loose then It will be an after market kit because the factory kit has plenty of clips holding it in place.

likit, Oct 16, 10:16am
Will give that a go, with all the rain we had last week the car stinks, we have checked tail lights as that was suggested, there is a very small amount where the space saver is kept too but can't work out how it gets to the foot well.

bigmacnfries, Oct 16, 12:27pm
God you are such a prat Intrade, you take any opportunity to bag Toyota - get your rose coloured glasses off when it comes to Euro vehicles.

kazbanz, Oct 16, 5:36pm
if yours is a Toyota IST then I would be checking to see how tight the nuts are that hold the taillights in place.
I would also be looking up under the "covers" in the boot corners to see if you can see water tracking

buyit59, Oct 16, 5:54pm
Unsure if the IST has them but suggest you check out the floor as I had a car with rubber bung in them that had 'popped' out and water was getting in that way . Refitted the bung and problem solved . Agree with Kaz about the ISIS - seen several with 200,000 plus km and still hanging together .

likit, Oct 16, 11:04pm
Mechanic had it up on a hoist & checked under car thanks

likit, Oct 16, 11:05pm
Will check tail lights again & under covers thanks

trogedon, Oct 17, 8:28am
Pull the ISIS badge off.

esky-tastic, Oct 17, 8:38am
Otherwise people will think it was made by Morris.

kazbanz, Oct 17, 8:47am
Ambo11 -just thinking about this a bit for you
The 1800cc Isis is in essence a combination of the Toyota Wish and the Toyota Raum so NONE of the technology is oddball.
One thing you will either love or hate is the pillarless left side door.
A direct alternative is the Toyots Opa 1800cc which is even more comfortable to drive. It isn't quite as huge in the back but the seats are a bit softer for the front seat passengers.

ambo11, Oct 17, 4:44pm
Cheers Kaz,
the door is quite unusual. does not bother me, I'm really after the extra seating height/ease of access over the Odyssey hopefully, and the reliability of the mechanicals. also would consider the Toyota Noah, Nissan Serena etc but don't want CVT. Have looked at a Voxy but thats too ugly, Noah a close second. I'll have a browse through TM and Wikipedia. should give me some answers hopefully. Thanks for that.

kazbanz, Oct 17, 4:52pm
Um ambo--mate a Voxy IS a Noah. Literally exactly the same van with a different name badge. Similar is the Honda stepwagon which is my favourite in that size van type people mover.

ambo11, Oct 17, 4:57pm
Yeah just found that out. and Serena are CVT. any 1.6-2.0 litre wagon/van type vehicles that are easy access and not CVT? Probably need to go bigger engine wise I guess? It will spend 99% of its time lugging me to work open road, occasionally towing the log splitter or trailer, 500kg absolute maximum.Cheers

ambo11, Oct 17, 4:58pm
Tried out the neighbours 06 Mazda Premacy. hated it. So much road and wind noise.

ambo11, Dec 21, 2:57am
The Mazda Biante. are they CVT Kaz?