Boat painting

bman68, Jul 23, 12:37pm
Wanting 2 paint my small boat 4 cheap ill be doing it myself at home is 2 pac epoxy paint my only option ? Anyone painted a boat with enamel before or somthing similar. pros cons of doing so ? Any helpfull info please

martin11, Jul 23, 12:41pm
Had a plywood boat years ago and just used exterior house paint put on with a roller .

elect70, Jul 23, 2:38pm
Yep 2 pot epoxy is only way to go & prep is important 100% dry & clean be it ply or fglass , Dont muck about once mixed brush or roll it on somewhere cool or it starts to harden .

bman68, Jul 23, 7:12pm
Do people not spray on 2 part epoxy paint ?

tony9, Jul 23, 7:17pm
Have a look at International Paints Toplac. Bloody brilliant as long as you follow instructions.

Single pack and easy to apply.

rob_man, Jul 23, 7:18pm
This will work perfectly as long as you use an oil based product and prepare it properly.
Epiglass used to make a marine enamel which was pretty much the same as house paint.
If you feel the need to go with 2 pack material you can use any automotive 2k material quite successfully, you can even roll it on if you want.
Once again, preparation is paramount, a coat of paint is only as good as its substrate.

newtec1, Jul 23, 8:20pm
No you can roll it on with excellent results. It is designed to flow out to a smooth finish,unlike other paints which dry to the finish you leave them,brush, roller etc.

newtec1, Jul 23, 8:31pm
No don't waste your time and money on two pot epoxy. it is an excellent finish if prepped correctly,but mostly used on a top end finish project,not low end runabouts.You can get an excellent finish with International Toplac product. A single can application which give an excellent finish and is harder than house paint.Don't waste you time and money on a two pot, it's not only expensive but there is no guarantee it will cure correctly if conditions are not right.It doesn't dry like normal paints but creates a reaction when mixed and take about 8 hours to cure.You may apply it to look perfect,smooth and shiny,but if humidity or temp is not right you will come back next morning to find it has a flat finish.Toplac is the way to go with the right undercoat to match.

newtec1, Jul 23, 8:32pm
100 ++++++

rodeorunch, Jul 24, 5:14am
Years ago I painted a small boat with water base house exterior
House paint never fell of .
I think it was pure luck that it stayed on the boat.

elect70, Jul 24, 2:15pm
Also depends on where you launch , if boat ramps then basic oil based probably Ok but if using it at beach the 2 pak expoxy sets like concrete hard as nails & will last for decades properly applied . Nice & glossy as well

bman68, Jul 24, 5:57pm
Thanks for all the help guys. Would you recommend using a primer or will it be sweet 2 spray over a well prepped area ? Think im gonna use a 1 part oil base / enamel cheers

tony9, Jul 24, 8:26pm
If you go with TopLac, you will use Pre-Kote. You will get a great finish, but brush or roller is easier than spray.

newtec1, Jul 24, 9:40pm
Yep that's the way to go,roller will give an excellent finish with the right sleeve.

666steve, Jul 24, 10:30pm
What is it going over?

Old paint?

Timber?

Fibreglass?

bman68, Jul 25, 7:07am
Old paint

666steve, Jul 25, 6:30pm
You can only apply epoxy over old epoxy. If you have a single pack enamel on there already then you can only put enamel over it. Epoxy won't stick.

briantamaki-god, Nov 7, 6:16pm
i used 2 pot reaction lacquer on my figlass boat 15 years still looks like new