E bike expo Wigram ChCH

bill1451, Oct 29, 10:10pm
took a couple of these for a ride today and quite impressed, as it was against
the notorious CHCH easterly, If I got one it would only be used on cycleways
Seems like mid drive systems are the way to go as the motor can make use of the back wheel gears, Interested to hear from others who may be contemplating a retro build on an existing bike or have done same.

intrade, Oct 30, 8:17am
the problem is unsprung waight they had some wheel motors they are ok up to 40 kph its the reason why wheel-hub motors will never come or last long and not because it is a conspiricy.
I could see the hub having a brake-regen stile divise to help brake come out but never the whoe drive unit.

the-lada-dude, Oct 30, 12:24pm
Made a gas powered bike using a small Echo 2 stroke with a centrifugal clutch.( 40 +years ago ) made a small gauge tooth belt reduction drive to a skateboard wheel driving onto the rear tyre . success and tech problems. Yes I would put power through the main drive chain next time which utilizes the gear ratios and way more efficient drive system . I found the most effect the engine had was on hills

noswalg, Nov 2, 8:38am
really? What was the lifespan on yours?

msigg, Nov 2, 1:17pm
Max speed is 25km not 40 that is too much.

drsr, Nov 4, 9:00am
In NZ they are legally limited to 300W of motor power. There's no legal maximum speed but on some imported bikes the power assist cuts out at 25kph to comply with overseas regulations. 300W is enough to get to 40kph on the flat, especially if you pedal as well.

ally-oop, Dec 8, 3:46pm
Sounds really exciting.