NZ ranks 19th in used cars affordability

billyfieldman, Sep 8, 5:43pm
Good news is new cars depreciates 54% after 56,000km. But still NZ ranks 19th in terms of affordability of used cars?

Do you think Franchise dealerships would lobby the government to curb the importation of used imports to protect their market share?

https://www.nbr.co.nz/article/nz-ranks-worst-global-survey-car-value-depreciation-mta-blames-two-tiered-market-b-199219

nice_lady, Sep 8, 5:59pm
Don't know how old you are but I can assure you that used cars are MUCH cheaper than they were a few years ago.

billyfieldman, Sep 8, 11:07pm
If it gets cheaper still, then the average age of cars on our roads improve.

franc123, Sep 8, 11:46pm
Lol its about thirty years too late to start curbing imports. I think lack of affordability has more to do with local used car buyers lacking the disposable income to buy them after the bank or landlord has extracted as much as possible out of them plus all the other essential stuff like power, food and petrol that we get ripped off on, as opposed to the actual price of the car being too high.

framtech, Sep 9, 1:05am
The price of new cars is the reason, we are totally ripped off and a lot of car dealers have become very rich over the years, Toyota used to send their own ships down here to cut down on shipping and years before we used to assemble cars here in wellington. really grates me when I see how cheap cars are in the US and Australia. really the new car dealers have priced themselfs out of the game and could sell many more new cars if they could bring the price down another 10k and get older vehicles off the road.

fordcrzy, Sep 9, 8:29am
The increase in new car sales is directly related to the absolute crap used cars being sold. People have had enough being burned by unreliable post 2000 cars leaving them with catastrophic bills. Gone are the days where jap imports were reliable 80's and 90's runabout that still had plenty of life left in them. I refuse to pay $20000 for a suspect used car with 100000kms on it's

3tomany, Sep 9, 9:13am
I would like to know what value they use as a guide, as the vast majority of new cars are sold with heavy discounting from RRP. If you got a 15% or more discount then you are only losing 35% on a new car. Many large and government fleets get up to 30% discount.

kazbanz, Sep 9, 12:58pm
Those that toss out there--Rip off used car dealers etc etc might want to have a look at a couple of cases in point.
Mid 2000's Toyota corolla hatchbacks and their variants
Mid 2000's Toyota Hilux utes.
In one case there is a supply of good quality used stock in Japan
in the other there isn't
The Hilux highlights what would happen to the NZ used vehicle pricing if we weren't buying used Jap import cars.
We are a pimple on the backside of the world yet our used car pricing is lower than Australia.

gazzat22, Sep 9, 1:25pm
I totally agree with you Kaz. in the early 80,s some real dogs came in but inspection processes have tightened and maybe a few slip through now but most are OK.Imports gave the peasants such luxuries as A/C,power steering,electric windows etc etc which were previously the rich mans territory.The only problem i have had with an import was one previously owned by a Kiwi.

lespat, Sep 9, 2:15pm
New car sales have hit record highs all year so sort of debunks your theory. Ozzies don't get the variety of used car options we do. And try buying a used euro. No imports & new car luxury tax make used examples hideously priced compared to NZ

rsr72, Sep 9, 3:10pm
And why the ridiculously-high new Euro prices in NZ, despite no import duties to pay and only a
15% GST sales tax?
Franchise prices here are criminal.

captaink, Sep 28, 8:16pm
Hydroplane you sure don't know how it all works do you. New car Dealers don't set the prices of new cars, the Distributors do (in as much as the Dealer has to see a margin on top of what they HAVE to pay the Distributor for their stock).
A bigger Dealer may be able to negotiate a better price on a bulk buy but it's always his money that he's putting out there, it's his balls on the line saying he can sell x number of x model after purchasing them and if that Dealer has $5 - $10 million plus invested in a Dealership and stock then I hope he gets 'rich'. As soon as you have that sort of money invested you probably will as well.
On top of that the Distributor in the bigger marques tells the Dealer how is building has to look, how much inventory he needs to carry, what colour his tie will be and bloody near when he has to change his underwear.
Every Franchise Dealer in New Zealand has to buy from the Distributor and we are a TINY market in world terms so our buying power is Zilch.