Circuit breakers in Cars.

gazzat22, Jul 15, 12:13pm
If one of these pops or is blown does it just "pop" like a house meter board or change colour.or any visible signs. thks

kazbanz, Jul 15, 12:39pm
are you talking about the same DY demio again mate?
if the ones under that cover near the battery "blow" normally its like a normal fuze.

bigfatmat1, Jul 15, 12:45pm
Cars in general do not use circuit breakers as their main form of protection. You may find one or two or on some makes for various things like rear demisters and headlamps. All in all pretty rare find on cars these days. The ones that are on cars could be self resetting or you may have to insert a thin probe into to reset. no visual identifacation if they have tripped. Sometimes fuses may of been replaced with a circuit breaker. in which the little switch will be in a different position to the others. If you are meaning fuses. Then you can use a test light to determine whether one is blown or not it should have power on both sides when the circuit is active.

gazzat22, Jul 15, 1:34pm
Yes,i,m presuming theyre circuit breakers about 3/4 inch square.They all look OK as do the fuses but alarm(aftermarket) is doing silly things.Lights flash when arming/disarming but dont lock/unlock doors.Light that shows alarm is armed and flashes is on all the time/Get into car start motor everything works including central locking except light still on. It all started when SIL left interior light on and totally flattened the battery.He used my shielded jumper leads all good >Im leaning to even though car starts ok the battery is on the way out Remote still lights up when using it and lights on car flash I think he can take it to an Auto sparky tomorrow.Cheers

matarautrader, Jul 15, 2:57pm
Sounds more like a relay than a circuit breaker

supernova2, Jul 15, 3:28pm
Hmm just jump starting shouldn't have caused any problems. Did they hook the leads up backwards?
Apart from that if it works when the car is running then it wont be blown fuse or circuit breaker.
As you said job for the sparky.

gazzat22, Jul 15, 4:05pm
My SIL is an ex London copper and knows very little about cars so anything is possible!I know a "surge" can cause all sorts of "funny" things to happen and it seems to be very coincidental and I am rather sceptical when something like this happens and its "just a coincidence" so off to the sparky

gazzat22, Nov 23, 12:13pm
Yep, Wrong Terminology .