New car time. thoughts on Mercedes A180?

Page 1 / 2
gblack, Jul 2, 8:04pm
TL;DNR version. Leaning towards buying a 2013/2014 A180 for about ~$16k. First time euro car buyer, so any (constructive) opinions? Have a couple on watchlist so going to look at them this weekend.

Longer version - I am really not a car guy; I ride a Triumph Street Triple bike as my daily commute and wife has a Toyota Aqua hybrid. I used to chat to my dad about car choices, but he died last year.

Last car I had was 2.5 Legacy wagon about 8 years ago. Liked it, but was expensive to run. Wife and I mostly stuck to Toyota/Honda's and never had any issues, but feeling like branching out a bit.

I was made redundant last month, but starting new job next week so all good. The offer for the new job comes with decent car allowance so initially I was going to pick up a classic company wagon; have some ex-lease Holden Cruise wagons on the watchlist - 2016 wagon with towbar for $12k seems good value. Also looked at Korodo, Tivoli etc but somebody suggested an A180 and I really liked the interior look, and not that much more expensive. But am I going to regret it if in a couple of years am looking at expensive gearbox or while repairs? Ex Rental Corolla or Fielder would make sense, but really feels like a boring choice.

New workplace have said that type of car is not important - they have vans and I would mostly just be driving short distance to/from work with maybe the odd drive as far as Rotorua or Taupo. Comes with fuel card so I don't have to worry about fuel.

My original search was cars from about 2015, less than 100,000km, about $15k budget. 5 doors a must, reversing cam. Towbar a bonus for bikes.

clark20, Jul 2, 8:16pm
Its a good car, better than the others mentioned

sw20, Jul 2, 8:32pm
Was looking at a B200 with the 1.6 turbo, NZ New for my mum. Visited my mate who is service manager at the local independent Euro workshop. He said not to bother. One of their good customer had one. Turbo needed replacment well before 100k, timing chain rattle and all sorts of issues that a car bought new and regularly serviced shouldn't have. Anything more than minor work needs the main dealer. Anything more than a sensor replacement on the engine and it has to come out. Was also quite critical of MB NZ's support as well, parts that should be in stock aren't and they don't seem to care.

His advice, buy a Lexus CT200h.

franc123, Jul 2, 8:54pm
For goodness sake dont get a Cruze, they're rubbish, Bruze is a better name given how hard the seats are, you will hate it very quickly. Quality is way below what you will get with a Fielder or Corolla, they are cheap for a reason, far too many unacceptable issues for a modern car.

gblack, Jul 2, 9:07pm
Yeah, I originally had Cruze, Trax etc on the watch list as seemed like good value. Then I read reviews and actually saw a Trax in the flesh, so dropped most off the list. I think the Cruze might be a cheap disposable car, but looking a little higher now.

gblack, Jul 2, 9:23pm
Did look at the Lexus (last few cars for wife were Toyota so going a little more upmarket would be fun). Looks like they stopped making that model in 2013. nothing newer under $20k. Even then most seem to be high km or displays still in Japanese

And having a fuel card does make hybrids not such a selling point.

poppy62, Jul 2, 9:57pm
Definitely take a test drive in the A180. Had one for nearly 4 years and it's a great car. The 1.6L turbo with the 7 speed box is a treat to drive, especially in Sports mode. Lots of extras that come as standard equipment. Consumables are cheap (filters, brake pads, etc., ) really recommend the A 180/200, it'll put a smile on your face. .

franc123, Jul 3, 1:12am
Yes they do seem good value but theres reasons for that. I reckon your thinking is in the right track, the other disadvantage with the Holden stuff is how good is the future value going to be when you've added another couple of years and 60 thou k on it? I'd wager not good. I can't comment on the A class, I'm sure it's a well behaved thing on the road when it's all working properly but whether one would be good to live with long term who could say.

tamarillo, Jul 3, 6:52am
Neighbour bought last of this old model on run out and loves it. He’s a pensioner and has no probes at all and loves the drive experience.
Brother had B class few years ago as company car and it got used abused and left out in all weather and driven through snow and never caused any concern and again he loved it.

msigg, Jul 3, 7:13am
Yea , I agree with frank, not a cruze, for reliability I would stick with the Toyota, The euro will be more expensive in the long term, it will devalue very fast as well, Lexus, or even RAV4 hybrid is the way to go if you want small suv. Good luck.

gblack, Jul 3, 9:04am
Not too worried about long term depreciation; the car allowance part of the salary package means that I would be aiming to have the car for 3-5 years then would aim to replace with PHEV or EV

kazbanz, Jul 3, 10:04am
Going left field here. If you commute by motorcycle then why not plunge your vehicle allowance into a bike /the bike and have like a 5-7k car for those days you just must drive to work.?
7k would get you into a mid 2000's jappa with low k's or a newer car with higher k's

poppy62, Jul 3, 11:04am
Hee haw. Hee haw. Compiments! . compliments . That "big mouth" bird of yours in CHCH, must have told you she calls me Donkey said she's going to get you to kiss her "Ass". You may have to Goggle check 4 words. like hung a donkey. and seek solace in the Malts.

BTW: for your info!. seems real donkeys are nearly as clever as you and cleverer than horses!

The percent of explained SD for donkeys' IQ was of 27.62%, whereas for humans, it was 33.23%.Sep 1, 2019

gblack, Jul 3, 12:12pm
Thought about that. and might end up using wife's Aqua and she can use a nicer car, but just getting a bit over being Capn Sensible. And yes, I did check out your selection as think you know your stuff.

I even looked at a (red) Alfa Romeo parked across the road the other day, but then not quite that ready to have project car.

tamarillo, Jul 3, 6:25pm
Do that with any car and you’ll find problems. They’re machines and some owners expect miracles.

poppy62, Jul 3, 6:44pm
The irony is that most on here that decry the Euros, are themselves reliant on the Orient Brands problems, in order to make a living (some a very good one). I hardly think relying on Euros for custom is going to turn a crust. Perhaps they have magnetic emblems of Euros to stick on the Jappas/Koreans when they work on them. It would ease the Dilemma.

tsjcf, Jul 4, 7:39am
I think the specialized European workshops would be doing rather well these days as they say jappas put food on the table but euros put the kids thru uni.

tamarillo, Jul 4, 7:48am
They also say those who make up silly proverbs are silly people.

gblack, Jul 4, 8:49am
Yeah, I have had a read of online reviews and one thing with online reviews is that if say 1000 cars are sold, you will find say 5-10 reviews with couple of people loving there new car, and a handful of people who have had horrible experience with something major going wrong and no dealer support.

So I always online reviews including for hotels, restaurants etc with a grain of salt.

But no surprise that if you look up online ratings for a Toyota Corolla vs the Merc or BMW, you will find overall higher ratings and less problems reported. I know that, but if everybody took the safe reliable choice, would be a boring world.

But will be asking about mechanical warranties; never taken one before, but might give some piece of mind.

tsjcf, Jul 4, 9:33am
Thats the difference between fan boys like yourself and tradesmen i guess.

gblack, Jul 4, 8:39pm
What I said is you have to read the reviews and put them in context. Every car will have have a mix of bad and good reviews, but if you see something specific like pretty much everyone complaining about something like engine noise then pay attention when taking one for a test drive. Actually surprised me though when looking at reviews for a car I know (the wife's Aqua) that they all seemed really positive when I know that car has some limitations.

I haven't bothered looking at reviews of the Cruze. as I said in the OP, I am not a car guy, so asked the question. They got removed from the watch list early on.

tamarillo, Jul 4, 8:43pm
Yet my bro’s in law works predominantly on bmws and great mate Audi’s. Top grade mechanics. And own and recommend them. NZ is a small place with its own cultural norms.

tamarillo, Jul 4, 8:47pm
Point being?

poppy62, Jul 4, 10:22pm
He believes everything he reads!

serf407, Jul 4, 10:54pm
Limited number of Toyota Wish meet the stated requirements. Mazda 6 station wagons are over budget. Probably need to find a vehicle either older or with more distance to expand the envelope.
The money fairy will probably slow up on throwing cash around after the election and there may be a few more hastened sales of vehicles surplus to requirements in NZ.